1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't be intolerant of my intolerance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 10, 2013.

1. This Ender's Game author, who has been pretty outspoken about the evils of homosexuality and same sex marriage, is asking folks not to be intolerant of his intolerance.
    His book has been parlayed into a movie and several groups are calling for a boycott of the movie, based on Card's past diatribes.
    Now Card is asking people to stop bashing the movie because he's homophobe.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/enders-game-author-orson-scott-card-issues-plea-fo,99915/

I never heard of this guy, his book, or the movie until yesterday.
    He's got some moxy.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As soon as he starts watching Food Network again, I'll watch his movie.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't believe it! Some guy none of us has ever heard of is intolerant.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Have you guys really not heard of Ender's Game? I mean, I AM a huge nerd, but I was under the impression that was a reasonably well-known book.

5. Nope... But I am not a huge sci-fi guy. The novel came out in the mid-1980s ... It sounds kind of like the Last Starfighter.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, but what is the general consensus of Orson Scott Card's fame? Does the average Joe know him?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ghost written by Chris Broussard.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The real question is, A1 or not?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my thought, too, though I've never read the book. Not sure I'd have placed Card's name, though.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of him or the book. It seems a lot of these sorts of books escape my orbit. I never heard of "Game of Thrones" before the TV show.

I probably need to subscribe to "Entertainment Weekly," just to get a weekly survey of some of the Big Deals in pop culture entertainment at large.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this either, but based on the guy's appearance and career choice I think it's reasonable to wonder if he has an anti-heterosexual agenda as well.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The overarching theme is worth exploring: There are not 2 rational sides to every story.

Draft saved Draft deleted