1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 2, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll preface this by mentioning that I'm in no way arguing that Jim Kelly is not a Hall of Famer. He is, especially for running such a great no-huddle offense.

But: The "Kelly threw more touchdowns and completed a higher percentage" don't really hold weight. He and McNabb played roughly the same amount of games. Kelly threw three (3) more TD passes. Kelly also threw 48 more INTs. Kelly completed 60 percent of his passes; McNabb 59 percent. Their regular season records are separated by three (3) games.

Kelly in the postseason: 9-8, 21 TDs and 28 INTs.
    McNabb in the postseason: 9-7, 24 TD and 17 INTs.

And, fun fact: McNabb threw more TD passes in one Super Bowl than Kelly did in his four combined.

Kelly was passing to Andre Reed and handing off and passing to Thurman Thomas, both Hall of Famers. McNabb had Brian Westbrook and a parade of shit (Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, etc.) at receiver, save the one year with Owens and one with DeSean Jackson. And McNabb did most of that without a real threat of a running game, albeit while Kelly achieved his success with mostly mediocre defenses.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He's not better than Kelly. He's not better than Warner.

Honestly, I don't think he's even going to be a final 15 selection anytime soon.

3. MisterCreosote

You're probably right, but it won't be based on his numbers or success.

Just wondering: How many guys widely seen as the greatest QB in each franchise's history (aside from expansion teams) aren't in the Hall or aren't future locks?

Ken Stabler is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Who is the best QB in Bengals history? Unless there's an old-timer who's in...

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The difference between Kelly and McNabb is that Kelly had "it" while McNabb didn't.

"It" being that indefinable quality that star players have and he also pulled one of the most remarkable feats in NFL history, while McNabb is going to be forever remembered as that guy who puked in the Super Bowl and as a quasi-underachieving quarterback who seemed to prefer basketball.

But I really don't have a dog in the fight.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Bengals, Seahawks, Cardinals...

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There is a Raiders QB in the HOF.

8. MisterCreosote

No. There is a Raiders kicker whose previous derring-do as a quarterback got him into the HOF.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

10. MisterCreosote

Ken Anderson/Boomer Esiason was the one I forgot.

However, an argument can be made that Warner is the best in Cardinals history, and I really think he gets in soon.

For Seattle, obviously Krieg and Hasselbeck won't get in, but Russell Wilson is off to a pretty good start in surpassing them.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Passing stats on average were higher through Mcnabbs career than through Kelly's. Kelly's stats compared to his peers are far more impressive than McNabbs. McNabb's completion percentage should have been higher than 59% in Reid's offence.

12. Best guess ..

Dave Krieg
    Steve Grogan (Obviously only because Brady is still playing)
    Warner counts for Rams and/or the Cardinals? If not then Jim Hart (Cardinals)
    Kerry Collins
    Mark Brunell
    Ken Anderson
    Trent Dilfer (Ravens) ... Flacco is much better... Not sure he's a HOF material though

Draft saved Draft deleted