1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Done your taxes yet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Apr 9, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Dr. J and I had our refund by Valentine's Day.

J_D, as far as free-lancing goes, the milege that I don't get paid more than covers my taxed income.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I am single, no dependents, and can't claim home-office deductions. That might be part of it, but I've free-lanced before and never took a hit like that.

3. accguy

accguy Member

JohnnyD,

Did your accountant fill out a Schedule C for your freelance and run it as a separate business? That will help. And it's legal.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Somethin had to be wrong... think about it... that's like a 63 percent hit... 800 bucks should only add like 40 bucks to the taxes (5 bucks every 50 bucks)....

That said, I am getting raped on my taxes this year, but it's my own fault. But the tornadoes that hit here in the beginning of March caused the county to be declared a disaster area -- meaning I have an extra two weeks to file and give the IRS my legs.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let's play hypothetical.

Let's say you got to the post office that is open til midnight at 11:30, only to find out the only people being accepted into the post office were those needing postage. The post office was accepting already postmarked returns in big bins that they were taking inside.

So your taxes will almost certainly be postmarked Apr. 18. Is the IRS going to come to my your house with the rubber gloves or are they likely to ignore someone who is one day (or, really, a few minutes) late?

Again, I'm just curious for the hell of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted