1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating money

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smash Williams, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

A coach I worked closely with at one of my former papers has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He fought with cancer while I was working there, and they thought he'd gone into long-term remission, but it's apparently returned and is not treatable.

He wants to take his family of five to Disney World before he becomes to weak to go, and the people in the (relatively small) town are taking donations. I no longer work in the state, let alone the area, and very much want to make a contribution to this fund.

However, it makes me ethically a little squeamish since he was a former source. He's the nicest guy in the world, always willing to work with me and never upset when I just couldn't cover his team. I met his wife and kids a couple times too, and I just feel like... I don't know. It's the least I can do, I guess.

What say you, fellow journalists? Should I go ahead and contribute to this fund?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Don't really see a problem.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No problems. Not only is he now a former sources, but also life takes priority over job.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Do what's right in your heart. And remember that you're a human being before you're a journalist.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Give to your heart's content. Hope they raise lots of money.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Smash: A friend of mine calls doing wonderful, selfless things such as this treasure in heaven.

By all means, do so. And good for you.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no reason to have a second thought about this. Do whatever you feel you can do for this man.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you know him enough that you feel like you want to donate, do so.

If you're uncomfortable with having your name attached to your donation, donate anonymously.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Do it. Don't think twice about it if you no longer cover his team. Hell, I'd do it if I still covered his team and see it as a donation to the kids to enjoy time with their father.

If you don't wish to do so anonymously, do so with a card stating what you did in the first post: that you enjoyed working with him and how coaches like him stand out in our line of work. Let him know.

11. accguy

accguy Member

Agree with everyone. Do it without a second thought.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm sure there are some purists who would find an objection. I'm not one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted