1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Should We Take Him Seriously? (Now leads 2012 GOP Field by 9%)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

By: Michael Barone 04/08/11 1:48 PM
    Senior Political Analyst
    Should we begin take Donald Trump seriously? Jay Cost in The Weekly Standard thinks so. Cost concentrates not on Trump’s raising the birther issue—“it is fundamentally undermining his line of attack on Barack Obama,” he writes—but on the fact that this outside-of-partisan-politics but still very well-known [business] celebrity is launching an attack on an incumbent president in a forum, the first half hour of the Today show, generally considered a serious public affairs program, is what’s extraordinary.

I have made the point that the way is open for an independent or third-party presidential candidate as it was in 1992: we’re facing serious financial problems, voters have negative feelings toward both political parties and—as Cost points out—Barack Obama’s OK but not spectacular general job approval numbers have underpinnings in his more negative ratings on specific issues. But what really got my attention in Cost’s article was the author he quoted to show how Trump was doing something like what Ross Perot did in 1992: me. He quoted a fairly lengthy passage from the Introduction to The Almanac of American Politics 1994, which I wrote some time in the spring of 1993. Pretty good stuff, I thought as I read it, and suddenly remembered writing it though the passage hadn’t crossed my mind lately.
    Cost puts in italics the following sentence in my Introduction. “Perot’s campaign ‘departisanized the critique of Bush,’ as Democratic strategist Paul Tully put it, pushing Bush lower in the polls in the spring as a then-wounded Bill Clinton could not have done.” The quote came from an interview with Paul Tully at the 1992 Democratic National Convention; he dropped dead at an early age shortly afterward. But his analysis was spot on, and I think Jay Cost is on to something when he says that Trump has a similar potential to inflict damage on Obama.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/04/should-we-take-donald-trump-seriously

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Re: Donald Trump: Should We Take Him Seriously?

Simple response to the title of this thread...
    No, we shouldn't.

3. Deeper_Background

Trump splitting the Republican base could get us Bachmann/Palin 2012 GOP race overdrive!! Go Donald Go and bring the big time crayzee... :)

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I should have just locked it after this.

5. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

I have never thought of the Today show as a serious public affairs program. Trump will last as long in the presidential race as an ice cube in Hades. As one of the many in flyover country here, I think the only people who give a darn about Trump candidacy are those in New York and Washington, no one in my neck of the woods takes him seriously.

6. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

I would say he is the "hair apparent" to Barack Obama.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sure, I take everyone who has their own clothing line, hotels and brand of vodka who wants to be president seriously.

8. Deeper_Background

Donald Trump Runs Second in Poll: Can He Win Republican Nomination?
    Real Estate Mogul Holds Lead Over Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin in Recent Poll

By AMY WALTER and MICHAEL FALCONE
    April 7, 2011
    A new poll puts real estate mogul Donald Trump in second place in the GOP presidential field, just behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and tied with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Among Republican primary voters, Romney leads with 21 percent, followed by Trump and Huckabee, who each garnered 17 percent. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich stood at 11 percent and former Alaska governor Sarah Palin got 10 percent
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/poll-donald-trump-catapults-place-2012-gop-field/story?id=13318814&cid=ESPNheadline

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It kills me that anyone is pretending to take this seriously.

You think Trump is going to go through the financial disclosure necessary for a presidential run?

Me neither.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A witless, penniless, brainless moral cipher and pathological liar for president? Insert punchline here: ________

11. Deeper_Background

Jimmy Kimmel was all over it last night http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/jimmy-kimmel-live-donald-trump-presidential-campaign-ad/a4f1f83576b61939d5e9a4f1f83576b61939d5e9-880558080137?q=jimmy%20kimmel%20trump

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ah. Maybe that's why he's beating the birther drum.

"Why should I have to open my books when our Kenyan-born president won't even produce a birth certificate?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.