1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donaghy: 2002 NBA Playoffs series fixed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zebracoy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

From what I saw in that series, Dallas had no choice but to play defense for shit on Wade. Everytime they so much as breathed on him (and a couple times not even that), Wade was sent to the line. The officials really tied Dallas' hands as far as defending Wade in that series.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stern also was asked a couple of years ago who he wanted in the finals. His response was 'Lakers-Lakers'. Now, he was probably joking, but still, it shows his thinking about how he would like a marquee team in the finals.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

It's all a front. I'm pretty sure this issue will have episodic treatment on ESPN as opposed to the up to the minute, analytic coverage they give other hot topic issues.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Each team has a representative "behind closed doors" to witness the proceedings. A different one than you see on TV.

So any conspiracy is being done with the complicity of the teams consistently being screwed.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm shocked with how open he is on stuff like that. This year he made it clear that he'd love a Lakers-Celtics final. I've never heard a commish in another league openly say who they'd like to see in the championship publicly. There really isn't any point and all it does is open you up to charges of impropriety if something seemingly shady happens to get the team there.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like the color schemes of the NBA's uniforms, Stern is not at all subtle, in most areas.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

True about Stern. But in this case, it was so obvious that the league, networks and everyone else with a financial interest wanted LA/Boston that subtlety was hardly necessary. Have you seen the ratings when it's Cleveland/San Antonio in the finals?

And can you imagine what they would've been in 02 if it had been Sacramento/NJ, instead of LA? Hmm.....

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Obvious or not, I don't think it's the commish's place to verbalize it. I've never heard Selig say openly he's hoping for the Sox or Yankees in the Series or Goodell hoping for the Pats or Cowboys. There's just nothing to gain from it and considering this story maybe something to lose.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But look what we're doing.

The only reason Stern said anything was because he was asked . . . by us.

So we either rip him for lying ("I really have no preference, just want to see a great series")

or we rip him for telling the truth.

I do not like pinning people in "whatever-you-say-we're-going-to-mock-you" corners. Makes us look silly.

10. rube

rube Active Member

Couldn't have been any worse than it already was ...
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2002/playoffs/news/2002/06/13/nba_ratings_ap/

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh YES it could: http://www.sportsbusinessradio.com/node/1158
    http://www.romow.com/news-blog/nba-finals-2007-who-saw-it/

And it would've if it had featured Sacramento instead of LA.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Just when I was becoming a fan, this.

Draft saved Draft deleted