1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Imus wants his money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, May 2, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who would have thought that Norman was a rightie?

The woman whom they have him with is one step to the left of Malkin and Coulter. And if I'd heard the Coulter-is-hot line, I would've laughed loud enough to drown out the show for the next five minutes.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The point I was trying to make on the other thread, is that the problem with Boomer's show is not that they are conservative but that they aren't good as this.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not serious ... but just as Kurt Vonnegut profited handsomely from the bombing of Dresden, Stringer has neatly leveraged La Affaire Imus.

Vonnegut remained guilty about that for the rest of his life.

Stringer? We shall see.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I just read this in May's The Atlantic

Der Arme Dolmetscher
    by Kurt Vonnegut

It had never entered my head that I had what it took to dolmetsch … While a student, I had learned the first stanza of Die Lorelei by rote from a college roommate, and I happened to give those lines a dogged rendition while working within earshot of the battalion commander …

Two hours later, the company clerk told me to lay down the buckets, for I was now battalion interpreter.

Orders to move up came soon after. Those in authority were too harried to hear my declarations of incompetence. “You talk Kraut good enough foah us,” said the executive officer. “Theah ain’t goin’ to be much talkin’ to Krauts where we’re goin” …

One [soldier] handed me a pamphlet purporting to make German easy for the man in the foxhole.

“Some of the first pages are missing,” the donor explained … “Used ’em for cigarette papers,” he said …

I examined each of [the pamphlet’s] precious pages in turn, delighted by the simplicity of transposing English into German. With this booklet, all I had to do was to run my finger down the left-hand column until I found the English phrase I wanted, and then rattle off the nonsense syllables printed opposite in the right-hand column. “How many grenade launchers have you?” for instance, was Vee feel grenada vairfair habben zee? Impeccable German for “Where are your tank columns?” proved to be nothing more troublesome than Vo zint cara pantzer shpitzen? I mouthed the phrases: “Where are your howitzers? How many machine guns have you? Surrender! Don’t shoot! Where have you hidden your motorcycle? Hands up! What unit are you from?”

The pamphlet came to an abrupt end, toppling my spirits from manic to depressive. [The pamphlet’s donor] had smoked up … the pamphlet’s first half, leaving me with nothing to work with but the repartee of hand-to-hand fighting …

Twenty minutes later … four Tiger tanks drove up to the front door of Headquarters, and two dozen German infantrymen dismounted to round us up with submachine guns.

“Say sumpin’,” ordered the colonel, spunky to the last.

I ran my eye down the left-hand columns of my pamphlet until I found the phrase which most fairly represented our sentiments.

“Don’t shoot,” I said.

A German tank officer swaggered in to have a look at his catch. In his hand was a pamphlet, somewhat smaller than mine.

“Where are your howitzers?” he said.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard from a friend in NYC that Stringer is using all of this publicity as a huge publicity tool, possibly even sending DVD copies of the press conference to recruits to show how united Rutgers basketball is...

6. heyabbott

There's no way that's true, she has too much integrity to do that.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Very sad if it's true.

8. I suspect Vonnegut was haunted by the fact that nhis country firebombed a couple hundred thousand civilians to ash and that he could have been one of them, rather than by the success of Slaughterhouse Five.
    And Stringer doesn't have fuck-all to apologize to anyone for.

9. heyabbott

She has nothing to apologze for, but if what happened to her and her team was so degrading, humiliating and disrespectful, why remind everyone of it, dwell on it and use it to make money?
    BTW is women's basketball is anything like the men's game, they've all been called worse, on the court. In hind sight, and after a real tragedy at Virginia Tech, the attention paid to Imus and Rutgers iwas nausiating and over done.

Stringer milked that shit for all it was worth, she got more face time and public recognition for a cheap then she ever did for coaching.

It's not like she's out there trumpeting her 53% graduation rate

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I actually don't have a problem with it. If she's saying, "hey, look, our team sticks together in the face of controversy," I'd hope to have my daughter playing on a team like that.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

We need to remember what the Imus debacle really taught us all: Focus on those pesky blacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted