1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DOMA unconstitutional (5-4); Court punts on gay marriage (no standing)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You realize that the gay marriage rulings are not an unqualified victory for the left, right?

It is perfectly possible that a case from a red state will make it to the Supreme Court, which will hold that the statute can stand, constitutionally. It may even happen quickly.

You're absolutely still alive here.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And you're losing.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In light of the rulings, it'll be interesting to see what the major business communities in each state do regarding fights over marriage equality. I recall, for example, some big companies in Indiana telling state legislators to knock it off with the morals stuff because it was causing them to have trouble attracting talent.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Cummins_Gay_marriage_ban_bad_f_1300328368

4. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Scalia's hypocrisy is galling. "We have no power to invalidate this legislation..."

5. TheSportsPredictor

Except gays.

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

That's not my point, Dick. EVERY gay issue thread apart from the POLITICS THREAD has been locked because it violates the rules of the board. This one should have started there. The scotus ruling on the voting rights thread lasted about 3 minutes.

7. dog eat dog world

Twisted logic of the argument.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't the Full Faith and Credit clause apply?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not why. The Adrian Peterson one lasted days and days and days. Some people hated it. I thought it was awesome. And I was really surprised it got locked - there was no real precipitating incident. I think the mods just thought it was going in circles.

10. TheSportsPredictor

You either want everyone to live by the same rules, or you don't.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You are violating the rules of this board by complaining about moderation. http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/help/terms

12. dog eat dog world

This, in California, will accelerate acts toward gays and lesbians...just a prediction.
    Then that's reverse discrimination...you're saying gays are more talented than straights. No one in Indiana hires on the basis of which hole one likes to hit on.

Draft saved Draft deleted