1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DOMA unconstitutional (5-4); Court punts on gay marriage (no standing)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Just do what the rest of us are doing, please.

2. Humungus

Humungus Member

kennedy and sotomayer wanted to rule on the merits, not on a technicality.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did you hear about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on technicality...

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So if people get married in California, that is recognized as a marriage in every state now, yes?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. It is recognized by the federal government.

6. Humungus

Humungus Member

in terms of receiving federal benefits, yes --i believe.

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Killed the other LEGAL thread by SCOTUS? No credibility whatsoever.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, if a marriage is legal under state statute, the federal government has to recognize it. Alabama can't be required to honor a Vermont gay marriage, w/r/t tax codes, inheritance, etc. But the federal government now is.

Hey, states rights, right?

BTW, Google "gay" -- or perhaps "gay marriage" if you're concerned about work filters.

9. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

I believe that's correct as well.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was killed because it's obvious what you're doing. So knock it off. Please.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This piece, from March, explains pretty well what happens now. Basically, marriage equality chaos.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/03/chaos-looms-if-court-strikes-down-doma-and-punts-prop-8/63610/

In the opinion on Prop 8, I wonder how Roberts wrote this with a straight face:

"This is an essential Opinion of the Court limit on our power: It ensures that we act as judges, and do not engage in policymaking properly left to elected representatives."

Any judge is an "activist judge" because he or she has to make a decision on the legality of something. As a Supreme Court judge, you ARE "making policy," and it's stupid for these judges to pretend they don't. If we didn't need judges to interpret the law, we wouldn't have them. Does Roberts think he didn't "make policy" by basically overturning the critical part of what Congress passed numerous times in the Voting Rights Act?

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

And we know what this is going, breaking the rules. All I'm saying is if you want to have rules, then honor them or throw them all out. You can't be selective and have integrity. Have this discussion but have it in the same place the voting rights act is being discussed.

Draft saved Draft deleted