1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins writer--Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Left_Coast, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2006/1935.html

The Miami Herald has an opening for a top-flight reporter to help cover its biggest beat: the Miami Dolphins.

The ideal candidate is energetic and knowledgeable about pro football and takes pride in beating both the local and national competition. We're looking for someone who can break news, not just cover the games, as well as propose and write enterprise pieces.

He or she also should be ready to contribute to our expanding online coverage. NFL experience is preferred, though not required. Those interested had better apply soon. Training camp starts in three weeks!

Please send resumes with five clips to:

Jorge Rojas
    Executive Sports Editor
    The Miami Herald
    One Herald Plaza
    Miami, FL 33132

2. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

The Herald has known that Jason Cole was leaving for Yahoo for a while. You would have thought the paper could have found a beat writer by now. Guess they haven't. Good luck to the person trying to play catch up in the middle of training camp.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The last two Palm Beach Dolphins writers have wound up at the Dallas Morning News and ESPN. The Herald could do a lot worse than to raid their competition...

4. Yet another job opportunity for Pickle_Juice

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

God, I wish someone would bring back that thread. Talk about funny.
    But covering the Dolphins for the Miami Herald ain't a job you walk into after selling knives door-to-door. Big boy/big girl job there.

6. Mizzougrad96

This is one of the most competitive beats in the country... There aren't many beats where news breaks consistently in three different papers...

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And you have to be damn good, not only because of the competition, but because Nick Saban treats the media like they're Gitmo escapees. News ain't exactly going to be a flowin' from free talking assistants.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'll be curious if the Herald tries to hire someone who is at Cole's level, someone who has been covering the league for over a decade or if they to raid Palm Beach...

The fact that a job of this level is on the APSE board I think is an indication that Miami wants to do a national search. If they had their mind set on anyone specific, you don't put a job of this level on the board because they'll get 500 resumes, 450 of which will come from people who won't even be close to being qualified...

9. Mizzougrad96

Apparently, they've already had at least one interview and it wasn't in house... Nobody would be surprised by the name, but I'm not going to be the one to throw it out there...

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I've heard that's a high crime area. Not sure if it's true.

11. Pops

Pops Member

With plenty of solid No. 2s on other NFL beats, I'm surprised they have to go to a public posting. Then again, the Heat one went up there too. They might as well hire another intern for skim-and-shred duty.

12. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I'll guess Darlington.

Draft saved Draft deleted