1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins worst NFL team ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The 1990 Pats have be in the mix. 1-15 and a national scandal is pretty good at being bad.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Their quarterback is a Lemon!! Can't sum it up any better.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Michael,

Pats are up there.

2-14 1981 Colts were, without question the worst 2-win team in history.

A 2-point win and a 1-point win, both against another 2-14 team.

Average margin of their losses? 19.8, as close a number as there has been to the 20.5 the 76 Bucs had.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Simon, I covered the 1981 Stupor Bowl between the 2-13 Pats and 1-14 Colts at old Memorial Stadium. It was everything you might have imagined, and then some.
    Went down in the stands in the third quarter to talk to the 10,000 or so folks who were in the stands, and ask them in God's name, why. Third guy I talk to says.
    "I'm too drunk to move."

5. Simon_Cowbell

He was wearing a Pats uni?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The 1-15 '91 Colts are never in the discussion of worst teams, but should be. I believe they still have the record for least amount of points scored per game. Their offensive line was ungodly abysmal. They were so bad, you actually felt sorry for Jeff George, and that takes a special kind of bad.

The Dolphins have caught another seminal Colts team, the Rod Dowhower-coached '86 Colts, to reach 0-13. Those Colts won their last three, I ain't seeing that out of these Dolphins.

If the Dolphins go 0-16 they go right to the top of the worst as far as I'm concerned.

7. Simon_Cowbell

You didn't strike me as too young to have seen McKay's boys.

You obviously are.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Like Moddy, you're fine in my book Simon, but you're missing a massive point.

The '76 Bucs never had a chance. The NFL expansion draft was a joke in those days, they were basically destined to be bad since there was no free agency and no access to any players worth a damn. Combine that with the fact that McKay was so USC-centric and arrogant about what we could win with, the Bucs were doomed.

And no one is saying those Bucs weren't bad, but they had some close games that season too. They lost 14-9 to the Bills, 13-10 to expansion partner Seahawks, 23-20 to the Dolphins, and 28-19 to the Chiefs.

Meanwhile, the current Dolphins are an established franchise that has no excuse for lack of competitiveness with far more parity built into the operating procedure of the NFL. In this day and age, a team has to try damn hard to go 0-16 and the Dolphins are on the verge.

It's ironic in a SJ way. Your beloved salary cap is probably the main thing holding the Dolphins back from making moves to avoid the abyss.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

everybody always forgets to mention my one-loss 1976 raiders when they list the best teams ever. i no longer can look the other way.

10. Simon_Cowbell

It's great they can't throw $130 million at it and cover up how bad they deserve to be, solely because of where the team happens to be located. I'll take it every day of the week.

Bucs were shut out in more than a third of their games.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If he really means that last part, consider yourself lucky, Zeke.

The Dolphins are on the verge of becoming the first 0-16 team in NFL history. That does put them in the discussion. The way they are finishing adds to the argument as well.

Glad at least most of us could stay on topic without stretching to take shots at people. Most of us.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Same empty crap from him/her every time.

The name used was a compliment to said poster.

Draft saved Draft deleted