1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins GM asked Dez Bryant unbelievable question at combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 28, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I like how we are talking HR ethics in a workplace where you have a cattle call in Indy, a draft in NYC and the workers can be traded, bought and sold at any time.

Plus, the workplace can designate one worker who is basically untouchable by other firms.

2. Can you at least concede that there are some contexts that would make the question more or less objectionable than other contexts?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If Bryant had knocked his teeth out, he would be in jail and the truth never would have come out.

Exceptionally dangerous and stupid utterance, and Ireland should be fired by the owner, and if Tuna quits, as well, great.

Fuck him, too.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Stupid to ask the question, but should the Dolphins do the digging to find the answer?

5. No. It is completely irrelevant. Hell, if you applied to any elite graduate school in America with a sob story about your mother being a prostitute, you'd get an unparalleled admissions boost.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I cannot fathom how in any business interview setting such a question was even relevant. (I counsel my clients on employment matters.) Perhaps, if there was the hypersensitive need to protect against potential exposure to STDs and the interviewee had such a past history. But then you would have to first establish that the guy had STDs and had gotten it from his mother somehow and you were now trying to identify the source. Okay, then maybe.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If they are trying to get a background check on a guy they want to know about his background. And that includes his family history.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK, I just thought of a possible justification. If he were applying for a security clearance, it might be relevant. The NFL, not so much.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I don't understand why he was directly asked. The Dolphins could uncover that information easily, if that was really a valid question. It was a shitty move. No child should ever have to answer a question like that about his/her mother. Whatever she did has no bearing on him. None. People have risen above worse.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, Simon's back and as charming as ever! (Actually, I agree with you on this one.)

What happened? Were you in hiding until your man Coghlan started showing signs of life?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They gotta bring Stanton up and start platooning Coghlan with Maybin and Ross.

Last year was last year.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's because pro sports teams are owned by billlllllionaires, and in our society, billionaires get to do whatever the fuck they want (even, as in this case, at the expense of millionaires).

Just wait until the next round of labor negotiations/strikes/lockouts in the NFL, NBA and MLB. The players unions will be busted to teeny weeny pieces and teams/leagues will have almost unlimited authority to do whatever the hell they want on the grounds of "character" / "personal conduct."

Draft saved Draft deleted