1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DOJ investigated (and cleared) ESPN for antitrust violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

First reported in today's New York Times, as part of a terrific series they have going this week about the ESPN empire in college sports:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/sports/ncaafootball/to-defend-its-empire-espn-stays-on-offensive.html?hp

Apparently the trigger was the way ESPN used to acquire rights to more games than they could show, then just "warehouse" them so that other networks wouldn't have access to live college football broadcasts.

The story strongly implies that ESPNU was created in an attempt to appease the DOJ and, at the same time, head off future antitrust inquires.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: DOJ investigated ESPN for antitrust violations

Man, the NYT is up ESPN's ass but good right now. I like it.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to find out there was some antitrust-type behavior related to the NHL either, far more than just not showing the highlight.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is the NYT doing this because of the Silver ship-jumping or did these stories originate many, many months ago?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They clearly originated several months ago, because there are a lot of references to when interviews too place, sometimes as far back as March. One person interviewed, maybe yesterday, if I recall, is no longer among us.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cool. Didn't read the story yet but it was my first thought.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This was a much more interesting story than the first two in the series. Not that those weren't good stories, but that college sports have turned themselves out for ESPN wasn't exactly news to me and I bet many other readers.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The alternate, probably more reasonable but less salacious subject line for this thread: "DOJ cleared ESPN of antitrust violations."

8. LongTimeListener

No, I think the investigation is the bigger part of it. ESPN's coffers and lobbying efforts meant a finding of guilt was unlikely to say the least. But it did change the way they did business.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, the main thrust of the article is that overall treatment of cable television as a monopoly by government is the biggest threat to its interests rather than ESPN as a monopoly itself. If bundling was ever outlawed (beyond doubtful), it'd face serious financial jeopardy.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In order to clear someone, you have to investigate them first, right?

11. LongTimeListener

Yes.

The investigation is the bigger part of the story. That's a large incremental step. And ESPN doesn't start offloading those games to CSTV without it. In the real world, that's an acknowledgement that they were doing something that wasn't kosher.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That's not the biggest take-away to me. The big deal is what ESPN did to avoid the DOJ wrath. ESPNU as a legal move and not as a business move. That's the revelation here.

Draft saved Draft deleted