1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing non-journalism piddling while working

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

How about this for an answer ...

I thought at the time -- and continue to think -- that these guys had better NEVER go looking for a job that I have to offer ... because that isn't getting it done.

I know how hard it is for the BEST journalists to cover events -- they need all of their senses going, so as not to miss nuance. These two guys didn't note crap. You telling me their gamers and sidebars will win awards? Will they serve their readers as well as the ones in the paper down the road? Answer *any* of those questions with a "yes", and you are lying to yourself.

rb

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe they werebored?

3. Rockbottom

The entire game?

You are GETTING PAID to be there.

rb

4. WS

WS Member

did they raise a thumb or five fingers as the game ended?

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If I had a reporter---with enough time on his hands---to post a thread and five responses during a rivalry game, I would think HE didn't have enough to do.
    Just a thought.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Why the hell do you care what that reporter is doing?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, I think Rock may have outed himself -- unless THAT many people were surfing SportsJournalists.com during the game.

Rock, did the solitaire player PM you once you quasi-outed him?

9. Rockbottom

I posted here twice during the game -- both during timeouts -- and would put my work today against ANYBODY ... both in quantity and quality. That ain't bragging, either.\

And wicked, you clearly haven't been to an SEC media function of any size. We are ALL on SportsJournalists.com. :)

Like I was trying to say ... scrolling the web while keeping up with the game? No problem. Working a solitaire game ALL GAME (well, except for the online crossword said writer was crunching on early in the fourth quarter) and not utilizing a pen the entire game? Another kettle of fish.

rb

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Some of youse are full of el crappo (or perhaps are seeing yourselves in those he describes?).

Rockbottom's right.

11. why do you care?

12. Rockbottom

Why don't you care?

Maybe because we have a crappy reputation, collectively, as journalists. My boss, whom I generally respect, jokingly referred to us as the "toy department" the other day. And it stung then like it did the first time I heard it.

Maybe because I bust my ass to eliminate reasons for the people I manage to say to themselves "ah, fuck it ... who cares, right?"

Let me put it another way: I could endure a "journalist" letting a cheer escape his lips once in a blue moon WAY over one that clearly isn't giving half a shit. I saw that today, not 10 feet from me. And it made me wonder ...

rb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.