1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'oh! Sports writer tells mag.. he's embarassed to cover sports.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I hate mushrooms. Can't stand them.
    Meanwhile, there are millions upon millions of hungry people who would kill for a mushroom.
    I guess I am as bad as Chico.
    Seriously, you people need to grow up. It is not Chico's fault that so many people are out of work, nor should he "give up" his job so someone who would theoretically love it can have it.
    He covers baseball, the most life-sucking beat there is. And he's covering the Nationals, a team that will be out of playoff contention come April 10, if not sooner. For anyone covering that team (or the Orioles, Royals, Pirates, Padres or Astros), this season is just a giant sink hole of suck. And while you'll still be there in August and September, your notes package will be cut to a brief and your gamer is stuffed onto page 8 so there's room for more-urgent NFL stories.
    I'd hate sports, too. Shit, I can barely tolerate them now.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Says me. Chico is a true mensch and one of the best people I know in the biz. He is about as far as full of himself as you can get. If you want to knock him for this quote, that's fine. I can understand how it rubs people the wrong way. But remember, we all get frustrated with our jobs sometimes. A lot of us got into this field because we loved sports writing, not sports, myself included. If he disrepected your dream job, so be it. But he is incredibly talented, and an even better dude.

We don't have much to go on here except our board reputations, so if you think anything of mine, believe me when I say Chico is good people. As good as any.

I've said my piece. Take it for what you like.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

It's not a big deal that he hates sports. My problem is that he's embarrassed by covering sports, as if it's something to be ashamed of.

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I understand where something like that comes from. Supposedly ... We are the toy department. We are jock sniffers. We cover shit that ultimately won't matter because the world and people existed and had to find a way to survive long before people played organized games and long before anyone thought someone else might like to read about it. We are the wannabes who couldn't cut it. We are former jocks who can't let go of the game.

But, if anyone really believes all of that bullshit, it's time to address some insecurities. That's his own problem to work out.

Personally, I'm embarrassed to cover sports just because the parents act like assholes.

5. Kato --
    I can assure you that political writers hate politics. They like being political writers.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Chico is very good people. I'll say it, too, though it probably means more coming from DD!
    I didn't much like his comments, either, but I like him. A lot.

7. Someone please tell me why he did the stupid interview to begin with. Nothing good could come of it and nothing did. What's Spnited's sig - we are the storytellers and not the story. I'm not personally offended by what Chico said or may have said, but someone please tell the kid to stop doing interviews. Shut up and do your job.

8. Only an applicable analogy if your cupboards are full of cans of mushrooms.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Chico's a talent, but I'm sick of this attitude.
    It's been in the business for as long as I have, which is a long time.
    If you don't want to do sports, do something else. It's not that hard.
    But quit with the attitude like you're slumming, that you're so much above it. You're not.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Exactly, Owl.
    Which, again, has been a problem as long as I've been in this.
    I'm not ashamed to say this: I'm a fan. I'm not a fan of any team in the sport I cover, but I'm a fan of the sport. And people who've seen my posts on this board know which teams I follow. No one's going to force me to give that up. I think it makes me better, much better, at what I do.

11. Chico his real name?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No. His real name is Aaron. Chico is a nickname from his childhood. I believe Chico Lind has something to do with it. I was well into the beer count when it was explained to me.
    I'll say it again: Great guy and I'll take a bullet for him even when I think he's stepped in it some (which he did here).

Draft saved Draft deleted