1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'oh! Sports writer tells mag.. he's embarassed to cover sports.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Chico Harlan, an outstanding writer who used to work for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, recently got into a little hot water.
    I guess he covers the Nats for the Post. But in a feature on him in a magazine he said he hated sports and was embarassed to cover them. Oops.
    Fall out ensures, Harlan issues an apology.
    His readers - at least those of his blog anyway - seem pretty forgiving.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/03/an_apology.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why doesn't he GTFO if he's embarrassed?

3. blueview

blueview Member

In reading that Washingtonian piece, the comment made him sound like a bit of an ingrate, and I wonder how he felt when he initially read the piece, pre-blog entry.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/people/capitalcomment/11866.html

At least he did some good personal damage control with the blog. Any other sports reporters out there who hate sports?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think it's quite a large number.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I think Klosterman wrote a piece about sportswriters hating sports sometime back. Maybe it was in Esquire; maybe it was in one of his books. Anyway, I think he had a point. Often, sportswriters become so unattached to sports. They're angry, bitter and rarely impressed anymore -- just watch Around the Horn; those guys are never happy (and, sadly, they often represent us to the general public.

To contrast that, look at political reporters and music writers. They love politics; they love music. They're junkies about their beats.

I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush, but I do think there is a perception out there of sportswriters hating sports -- or at least being really bored with sports.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but there is a difference between becoming disengaged with being a fan or caring who wins to hating them and being embarrassed to cover them.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I thought Jason Wilde once said he'd rather go to Lilith Fair than cover the Packers...

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Am not embarrassed to cover it, and don't hate it, but sports is very rarely on our TV when I'm off the clock. I see enough when I'm on it (the clock).

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll take his job.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He can swap jobs with me. And then he'll be sorry. Trust me on this ...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Embarrassed to cover sports? Sounds like Harlan has a very high opinion of himself. I guess I can understand it. He has certainly had some success in his young career.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If he's so embarrassed to be covering sports, let him step aside in favor of someone who wants to do it. ::)

Shit. People like that have a job and people like Carl Dubois are unemployed. Where's the justice?

Draft saved Draft deleted