1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog Mourns Navy SEAL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Aug 25, 2011.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44271018/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/t/dog-mourns-casket-fallen-navy-seal/

This was an interesting, sad, touching story -- complete with pic to prove it. Hope it is no D-B.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Saw this earlier today and just lost it. Just heartbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ZPx2Wnc0lI

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

One of the photos of the year for sure.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Great story.

I had a great uncle who died in WWII in Italy. When they flew his body home, his dog laid underneath the casket at the house for the two days it was in state. (Yes, the wake was at my grandmother's house).

My grandmother would always say that's how she knew it was him in the casket.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Reminiscent of a movie I saw a while back, "Greyfrier Bobby," in which a constable is killed and they can't keep his dog from his grave. A tear-jerker, now in reality.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the story from a few years back about this nursing home where the home's cat would go and either sit in the room or by the door of a patient who was about to die.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. Damn, it was powerful.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

First Pulitzer photo that was first posted on Facebook?

And also, I find it kind of annoying that the msnbc web producer decided to provide links to every other "amazing dog" story they could find. Gimme a break ...

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Probably true and not to nitpick, but I didn't like the way the video of the dog was just a loop image, spliced together over and over to make a :20 piece of video.
    Maybe there is better video of it and God rest all the souls of the perished.
    Thanks to all service members for their sacrifices and various roles they play.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

This made my dad cry and he only cries when family members die.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

It makes me want to go out to my local animal shelter and get a dog who has the capacity to feel like this one does and can't. But then I have two dogs. Blah.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

According to an episode of House that I watched, that type of behavior has more to do with the fact that the cat preferred the colder temperature of the person/people they were laying with and those cold temperatures were more likely to be found with a person on their last legs that a healthy and viral one.

Draft saved Draft deleted