1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog daze

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 20, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm going dog-crazy right now, and I can't wait to be able to afford a pooch of my own. I often kid with my neighbor across the street that I'll puppy-nap her dog, a clowny soft-coated Wheaten terrier named Deacon, aka: Mr. Woof. That being said, I ask all you SportsJournalists.com dog-owners: what's a good breed for your first dog? The ones I really like are:

• Wheaten terriers
    • Rhodesian ridgebacks
    • Malamutes or Huskies
    • Beagles
    • Boxers

I'm an extremely active person, so I prefer dogs with a goofy personality and enjoy exercise. Fire away!

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Keeshond.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Labs. No other option really. Goofy, sweet, fun, love to run.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Pitbulls...lots and lots of pitbulls.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Labs were any dumber they'd be in a JDV video.

Phila, it depends on you. Do you have a house with a yard? Apartment? Fence? Want to run with a dog? Little kids around?

Just kidnap the dog across the street and be done with it.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

;D

Those are all things I will consider. I'm still not able to afford any kind of dog and treat it well, plus I hope (read: praying like a whore in church) that I'm able to find a new job in the near future, so I have no idea where I'd be living.

7. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

YES. And they like the water.
    I had/have a chocolate Lab (I get visitation) and he's the best critter I've ever been around. He's soon to be 11, and I'm definitely not looking forward to the day when I have to ...

And Ace — you can lump that comment about the intelligence of the breed.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you have a good-sized yard? If so, a Golden Retriever is a great, great dog.

Beagles don't do well solo. If you get one, you should get two. Get the 13-inch variety if you plan to have it indoors.

9. Mutt.

Best dog I ever owned.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

There was thread about choosing dogs not long ago, and I think it was Flash or SC who suggested to go to the pound and rescue one that is about to meet its maker.
    That, too, is a very nice viable option.

11. That's where I got the mutt.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Probably both of us. I'm a big supporter of getting your critters from a shelter or a rescue organization if you simply must have a purebred.

Draft saved Draft deleted