1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog bites man.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Oct 30, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I got it.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The thing is, this is a tired idea that's been done ad nauseum. It'd be like me going to Philadelphia with Redskins gear on and cheering LOUDLY against the Eagles at the Linc. If I wrote a story about the way Eagles fans treated me, it wouldn't be worth printing because we all KNOW I'd be taking my life into my hands if I did that.

The same -- or worse -- holds true in New York for people wearing Red Sox stuff. We get it. Move on.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The root word of "news" is "new." This ain't. The fact that Boston is a neurotic provincial town with an inferiority complex miles deep about New York ain't new, either. We didn't need further proof.
    This story was bush league, pure bush. Its popularity among Globe Web site readers sure wouldn't inspire me to advertise my business on boston.com.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And Mr. Gee says what I've been trying to say all day. Thank you.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That it's popular crap.

I'm not against the (off-putting social position)-for-a-day premise. They're fun and I enjoy them. But this article takes the premise the wrong way by not exposing the public to something they may not be used to. If a Boston fan wants to know how he or she is treated in New York City, he or she can go there. Also, none of the reactions were unexpected or gave me any information on what it's like to be a Boston fan in NYC that I already hadn't heard before.

Add the fact that the Yanks weren't even involved in the World Series, and it reeks of fanboy-dom. To put it on the front page of a major metro daily is a slap in the face of that paper's credibility. I'm sure there were editors in the news department banging their heads against walls as this was sent to the presses.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Headline is above the fold, FWIW.

7. silentbob

silentbob Member

All right, Monday morning quarterbacks.

Boston wins the Series. There's a parade and celebration to cover.

What's your angle? How do you cover it in a way that makes people read about it and not just glance at the front page photo and think: "Sox win. Big celebration. I get it."

How do you make them spend 2 or 3 minutes on the story?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Gratuitous nudity?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Only if the people getting nekkid are provably, demonstrably hot.

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

Popular crap, jlee?

Do you realize newspapers would sell their souls to be described in such a way. (Wait. Has that already happened?)

There's nothing wrong with showing a little civic pride when the home town team wins a championship. That doesn't make us homers. It shows that we're reflecting the city during an important time. Reduced even further, it shows we're trying to sell newspapers and make a profit.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There was no civic pride shown here. They sent a reporter, presumably on their dime, down to Manhattan to walk around and do a first-person account. Anyone who knows either city knows there's plenty of Boston transplants living in the NYC area, and there's plenty of New York ex-pats living near Boston. What were they expecting, the guy to get full-on mugged?

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

"The root word of "news" is "new." This ain't."

You're right Michael, but I know you're smart enough to realize newspapers lost that battle a good decade ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted