1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog bites man.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Oct 30, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's not news. It's fanboyishness run amok.

Just like this NY Post "news" story in 2004, prior to the first Yankees-Red Sox regular season series:

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, if the guy had been killed or beaten within an inch of his life, it would have been a good story.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

Lots of Yankee fans on this board, I'm guessing.

Red Sox and Yankees make up the biggest rivalry in sports. Red Sox win Series, Yankees fall apart, lose their manager, won't sign their best player. Boston reporter dresses in Sox gear goes to New York to see what happens.

I dont see the problem. Keep in mind these papers have been writing these stories for years. What's wrong with writing it in a different way? It makes a stale topic fresh. And if you say it's not relevant, that the Sox didn't play the Yanks, you obviously don't understand this rivalry.

By the way, anyone care to guess which Globe story ranks atop today's most emailed list?

One of the problems with this business is that journalists think too much like journalists. Some of that's a good thing. If we really listened to the public, the sports pages would be filled with Ulitmate Fighting (or whatever it's called,) NASCAR and Fantasy Football. God help us all.

The bad part is that we're too stuck in our J-school ways. Report the news, write engaging commentary, but for the love of GOD have fun every now and then. Maybe this story didn't work for you, but I'd take it over the boring, predictable celebration bullshit any day. I mean, heaven forbid we surprise the readers once in a whille.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

One more thing, the goal of every reporter should be to write stories that capture reader's attention.

Maybe they won't finish the whole thing, but at the very least you want them to glance at it, to give your writing a chance.

In that sense, this story was a success. I guarantee a great percantage of Globe readers saw the headline, understood the premise and at least started it.

Whether they finished it, I couldn't say.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry, Matt. I just thought you should have written this story when there was more direct connection between the Yankees and the Red Sox. No doubt there was plenty of opportunity this year and for the last five years, and surely there will be in the million years to come as this is, of course, the greatest rivalry. E.V.E.R.

I do have one question though: did you just walk around the streets not saying a word, or did you actively draw attention to yourself? You should make that more clear in your story.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm neither a Yankee or Red Sox fan. I'm a Mets fan.

But my fandom doesn't preclude me from distinguishing a good story from 16 inches of fecal matter. And The Globe story was nothing more than fanboyism fecal matter run amok.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's almost always some dumb little story, though, because who in their right mind is going to e-mail a city council story or even the Game 4 story to anyone? And I wonder if this kind of thing is as popular with paying customers as it is with Web readers. You can't say for sure that it is, and I can't say for sure that it isn't. But my hunch is that they're two different kinds of readers.

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

Frank, that's a great question. One of the biggest facing the future of sports coverage.

Are online readers different from print readers?

And if so, what does that mean?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like fun in the paper but this story goes in the other direction, making those editors look like clowns. The best thing they could come up with for a Page 1 human-interest-Sox angle is a guy wearing the enemy colors in NYC? Seriously?

By the way, I really want the Colts to win so Boston can STFU for a few days. But if the Pats win I'm sure there will be a riveting story about red-clad N.E. fans invading the RCA Dome. Wheee!

10. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

What does it say that this entire board hates it ... but the general public (at least those who visit the Globe site) loves it?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That people don't go to the Net for hard news? That newspapers should look at that (my paper's top-e-mailed list usually has hey-Martha stuff, too) and be more serious and less frivolous.

I suspect you say it means something else.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know.

The senior guys and gals.

You, me, FB, Casty, Flash. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted