1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog bites man.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And this was not a good story.

Just my opinion.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it make a hell of a lot more sense if the Yanks and the Sox were head to head in a key series or something? I sort of like the idea for a NY-Boston ALCS story, or if it's a series right at the start of the season or at the very end with a tight pennant race.

But Boston winning the WS has nothing to do with New York ... or at least you hope it wouldn't. From a professional stand point you'd hope it wouldn't. This makes it seem the citizens of Boston, from their newspaper on down, are more concerned with what New York thinks about their winning of the series than just enjoying it.

It's silly, immature and shows poor news judgment.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fresh idea, in 1887: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly#Asylum_expos.C3.A9

Not a fresh idea, in 2007: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/30/sneers_loathing_greet_a_boston_fan_in_nyc/

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

WFW.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Why not just wear a "Viva Fidel" t-shirt in Miami or a "Cop Killer" t-shirt at state trooper convention? You'd get even more interesting reactions.

Was interesting when they interviewed Queen Latifah at Indians-Yanks at Cleveland and idiot asks her if she's such a Yankees fan, why isn't she wearing a Yankees hat like LeBron James did the night before. She just said you don't disrespect someone in their own house.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Truth is, if he goes to the game, writes a 15" sidebar, it runs on X6, no one talks about it, no one reads it, there isn't a thread about it, and we don't declare we're/they're better than that.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

So that makes this crap a good story?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

I think there should be at least some utilitarian purpose, yes.

Paper that gave me my first full-time job had a reporter dress like a bum and panhandle for money and write about it. It was mostly for the amusement of our readers, but it did give them some insight into how it is for these people.

Thing is, by now this kind of thing is so unoriginal, who is entertained? My niece, who gets lots of attention from guys, recently (for the school paper) dressed like a slob and didn't wash her hair for two days and rubbed dirt on her face and went to a mall and approached guys to ask if she could use their cellphone. And then she tried it dressed and groomed as usual. And noticed very little difference. (I could have told her that. Guys think filthy, sloppy girls are easy.) So, you know, if it's a good enough story idea for a 16-year-old, maybe the Boston Globe ought to think about how original and entertaining this really is.

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Enjoyed this piece.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Fixed.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, it's not exactly "Black Like Me"

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And how many of us do you think get that reference?

Draft saved Draft deleted