1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I normally carry around $100 in cash. It was instilled upon me by my father, who always has at least $500 on him.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I usually have $50 to $100 in cash in my pocket.

Debit card swipe for chips and soda that totals $1.94? No way.

All my loose change goes into the family piggy bank. We took $389 to the coin machine to convert to cash for vacation.

Yes, it's a big-ass piggy bank.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Y'all are high rollers.

I usually take $20 out of the ATM, since it's the smallest amount you can take out, unless I'm out for a big-time drinking excursion.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

If it's less than $20-$25, I like to use cash, unless I'm low and have to use debit. I caddied during high school and college and got used to having a few hundred in a stash in my room. If I'm going to a ball game or out for a big night of drinking, grab a few $20s for the night. Think you might run into some cute girls? Grab the $50 or $100 the high rollers gave out to impress the ladies.

I think too many people use cards too much now. I know it's convenient to use cards, but if I'm out to eat I'd rather throw down a $20 and not have to wait for the server to run the card then sign it. Also, it's annoying when some people don't have cash on them. There have been multiple times when I've gotten to a bouncer at a bar and a friend says "Can you pay my cover? I don't have cash, but will buy your first round." I like letting someone get the first round, but if you know you're going out make sure to bring $5 for cover on a Thursday or Friday night.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Did some research, found a bunch of places that sell / lease/ rent ATMs with a simple google search of "ATM rental fees." I tried to look for some basic numbers, but the three or four places I looked you had to fill out a form, then they'd call / e-mail you with a estimate or quote. Seemed like prices would depend on type of unit, number of transactions the business does per day, what the average transaction cost is, how long you want it for, how soon you need it and type of business.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks, Jeremy.

You'll do well.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mrs. petty enjoys tracking my every move. no cash for tom.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pssst. he came up empty-handed.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, I wasn't being serious.

Apparently, the joke wasn't as obvious as I tried to make it.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for as sarcastic as i am, you'd think i'd understand it better when other folks partake.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Same thing happened to me, only it was at the nursery. I tried to pay with a check and everything just stopped. Water stopped flowing, plants began to die and the looks from the other shoppers...my oh my.

Let's just say that I have learned my lesson.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

No credit, no debit cards. Cash only.
    I might be convinced to carry a debit card, but I would have to change banks because the one I'm at now doesn't offer them.

Draft saved Draft deleted