1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

OK, what gets my goat is the people who use the speedy checkout lane at the grocery store BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE MACHINES, especially those with credit cards and checks.

Debit/credit cards are wonderful little critters, when you know how to use them. The machines at each store differ, but they're not written in Greek.

If it wasn't for the knucklehead granny who gets in line and then can't figure out the machine, I'd be in and out in two minutes.

OK, a bit of a threadjack, but there you go.

MMSW, is there a business nearby with an ATM? Do you guys do brochures or whatever? Could you point it out on your brochures or Web site (if you have one) that you don't take credit cards, but XXXX joint up the street has an ATM? I think the merchant makes a small bit of cash each time money is withdrawn from an ATM on their premises.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Hell, if I have a $20 on me, I feel like Rockefeller. I keep loose change, for Hookers like Smasher does. But also for my morning coffee on the way to work.

Can't remember the last time I routinely carried around more than 10 or 15 bucks. I use my debit card even if something cost $1.50. Fast and convenient.

I also only use pay at the pump gas and, if possible, the self-serve checkout lines at the store. I love modern conveniences.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

BTW, three-plus hours and no one has jumped on this yet?

For shame, SportsJournalists.com. For shame.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

MMS -- If you don't have signs blaring from the highest heavens, "NO CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED," then I can see why people get snippy. At this point, you pretty much assume any business takes credit unless otherwise announced. Most places I know of that don't take credit or debit (such as my favorite buffalo burger stand) have an ATM on-site. If that's not affordable, then a friendly smile and a suggestion on a nearby ATM would help.

And, yes, I don't carry much cash on me.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I, for one, always appreciate a friendly smile and suggestion on nearby ATM.

Always.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Did the guy pan out for you?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I usually try to keep $10-$60 in cash on me. Go to the convenience store to buy a pack of gum (or a snack) - pay cash; stop by the pizza place or sandwich shop for lunch - pay cash; cafeteria at work - cash only; I try to avoid using my credit card unless the purchase is $20-$25 or more, or I'm low on cash. I'm embarrassed to put a $6 purchase on my credit card.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He isn't CUTE cute, but he's really sweet.

You don't know what it's like when it's just he and I. Honest.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Checks are the worst. I can't wait till the day they stop making them.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Paying by check in a store should be banned. But I still pay most of my bills by check.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Amen. I refuse to go to online bill paying, especially when you hear every week about some other company letting credit card numbers loose.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I used to carry cash, but then I used it and the well-oiled machine that is the American economy came to a grinding halt and the cashier gave me a snide look. Man, the line at the deli was a mess after I got my $.37 in change.

I caved in to peer pressure and only use plastic now.

Draft saved Draft deleted