1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does USA Today try anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This story was on the front page of sports, above the fold, in Tuesday's edition of USA Today. My question is ... why? And when did USA Today stop trying? I have not picked up the paper in years--probably not since Clinton was in office--but I never remember it being this bad. I know it's basically just a hotel paper now, but still. WTF. How is this a story?

WASHINGTON — More than miles separate the New York Mets and Los Angeles Angels when it comes to coping with adversity.

As the American League West-leading Angels continue to soar, the Mets, despite the second-highest payroll in the majors, have buckled under the weight of crippling injuries. They've fallen to fourth place in the National League East, four games below .500 and nine behind the front-running Philadelphia Phillies.

Just when the Mets thought their situation could get no worse, right-handed pitcher Fernando Nieve was carted from the field with a strained right thigh Sunday. Nieve became the 15th Met (Angel Pagan twice) to go on the disabled list since spring training ended.

He joins a list of higher-profile players that includes outfielder Carlos Beltran (knee), first baseman Carlos Delgado (hip), shortstop Jose Reyes (calf), starting pitcher John Maine (shoulder) and reliever J.J. Putz (elbow).

Roster depth has been a primary difference between the Mets and Angels, who entered the season with baseball's fifth-highest payroll.

With his team decimated by early-season injuries to John Lackey and Ervin Santana, current injuries to Kelvim Escobar and Scot Shields and the death in April of promising right-hander Nick Adenhart, Angels manager Mike Scioscia has used 12 starting pitchers. Matt Palmer (7-1) and Sean O'Sulllivan (2-0) are among those who have stepped up.

Despite injuries to outfielders Torii Hunter (groin) and Vladimir Guerrero (knee), the Angels continue to produce runs. Four players, including backup outfielder Juan Rivera (16), have at least 11 home runs, and nine have scored 30 or more runs.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bull, there's nothing wrong with the story. It's about how two big market teams are coping with injuries during an 162-game season.
    Is it great? No. But there's nothing wrong with it. I'm sure there are people out there who didn't know the extent injuries have plagued both teams.
    I'll give USA Today a pass on this one.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Both teams are coping with injuries the same way: by continuing to play games on their schedule.

The Angels win their games.
    The Mets lose them.

Where's the story?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

That is the story Bull.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just love the quotes.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Say what you want about USAT, it's one of the only papers that still has 14-page sections in sports DURING the week. I know it's not much, but they're still trying at least.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't see anything wrong with the story, either. It's not great, but it's not bad.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That they added 20 games is a story in itself.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's the story. Injuries are not an excuse because the best teams cope with them by having superior depth.

With all its faults, USAT is the only paper you can pick up and, after reading the sports section, be able to say, "I have an excellent idea what went on in the sports world yesterday."

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. When traveling, I must admit, that are days when I wouldn't know't what day it is if not for USAToday. It still serves a purpose. The stories are snipets of what's going on.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This was sort of my point.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've been in USAT meetings where these kinda stories get pitched/assigned.

They liked that story, most of all, because it ties the two coasts together in a neat package.

Draft saved Draft deleted