1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this sound like a scam?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It is a scam. They will write you a check for more than you are selling the bed for and ask for change. People give them change and the check bounces.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

total scam.

insist on paypal

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You don't do SHIT until the check clears.

Very simple.

And never give change on a check.

But I didn't read that at the top.... am I blind.... what did I miss?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The fishy e-mail was actually the second one they sent me. The first had a lot of the same misspellings (I figured maybe it was somebody young who was used to texting and lacked language skills) and asked for pictures. I sent them, then the next day I got the fishy e-mail and noticed the Nigerian-sounding name on the e-mail address.
    I think the best course of action is to let this go. Wait a couple days and see if they send another e-mail, and if there is then I'll try to probe them for some information. Worst case scenario, we've got a nice coat rack.

5. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

i'm trying to sell a car on craigslist right now. i've gotten about 13 of these emails already. definitely a scam.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Batman and EdVed: Your racial profiling skills could be utilized by the NSA.

Draft saved Draft deleted