1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this irk anybody else about preps coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Dec 30, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do you have any earthly clue how many scholarships you've cost kids?

Rot in hell, Hater.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

About a year ago I witnessed the absolute worst girls basketball game I've ever seen.
    I considered revising my lead and fluffing it up but the more I thought about it, the more I thought the overwhelming 'negativity' in it was deserved. It was what happened.

Needless to say I got several phone calls and many people told me they didn't like that I phrased things the way I did. My reply? "Did you watch that game?"

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I once pointed out that a cheerleading squad got off the floor faster after its time-out routine than the boys' basketball team moved down the floor on its subsequent possession.

I heard about that one.

4. schiezainc

That. Is. Awesome.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yep. I think of that every night. It helps me sleep better.

6. jps

jps Active Member

bitching parents, 9 out of 10 times, are very often just bitching because they heard about their kid's screw-up at work by someone the read the story and they are embarrassed or upset about it. the kid doesn't mind that it's in there - (s)he was there. the team saw it, most friends saw it, etc. if it happened, if it was important, write it. it's what you are paid to do. and if you treat it fairly, more often than not, your work will ultimately be respected by the majority of players, coaches and fans.

7. schiezainc

Not only does Mike write in a way intended to take away scholarships, he calls the schools interested and tells them that little Jack or Jennifer "loves to take drugs" and he hasn't reported on it because they've offered him sex to keep his mouth shut. :)

8. jps

jps Active Member

shotty, like the imagery, but it is boys basketball team -- no '
    just sayin.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It is not the basketball team of the boys?

Wow, that would make a helluva thread, because we've been using boys' basketball and girls' basketball for ages.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, crap. I never got back to that recruiter about the participants of one of the holiday tournaments like I told him I would.

Eh. If he really wanted to know, he'd have found out.

11. jps

jps Active Member

always used boys and girls; men's and women's.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But it's the same reasoning.

Draft saved Draft deleted