1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the NBA stink?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by clutchcargo, Feb 16, 2007.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I used to chuckle at the old fogies 20 or 30 years ago who would say how the athletes and caliber of play in the "old days" was so much better than it is now ("with "now" being the 1970s and 1980s). And that was true for not just basketball.

But now, today, really today, whenever I take my hands away from my eyes long enough to watch the NBA for 10 minutes, I know I'm right in saying that this game, these players, this product is nowhere near as good as it was in the 1970s, 1980s and even early 1990s.

I"m not just talking individual players such as Walton, Maravich, Dr. J, Kareem, Magic, Bird and Jordan, I'm talking the TEAMS and the flow and strategy of the game. This sport truly has regressed and is just awful to watch. There's a lot more physical contact going on, yet there is less defense being played---if you know what I mean.

You know where I won't be on Sunday.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I brought this up about five months ago and no one agreed with me. But I watch every "classic" game I can on my ESPN Classic and on Raptors TV, and I'm telling you the difference in games, players, action is like night and day.

I still like the NBA, but not like I liked it when I was in high school and college.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The athletes are better, but the teamwork - and especially the shooting - sucks.

The shooting is abysmal. Just God-awful. And don't let people tell you it's because of better defense. Guys just don't practice it like the older guys did, between practicing dunks and taking calls on their cells.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It is not the era. Not the players. You miss the shorts...

[​IMG]

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I think I better go confess on the 'gay sportswriter' thread. :)

6. fishwrapper

I love those old fotos...I came across a Larry Bird shot where those shorts were so short I swear you could see his ass crease. My wife calls those shorts: "Nutters."

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

We used to call them "Nut Huggers."

8. fishwrapper

Not sure why you would call them "Nut Huggers"... ;)

[​IMG]

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Is it the shooting or the shot selection that sucks?

10. fishwrapper

Yes.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Talking about the days when NBA'ers wore their "Marilyn Monroes" (short shorts), true story: I remember seeing an SI cover circa 1970 that showed the Knicks' Willis Reed, having just grabbed a rebound, with elbows out and legs apart, you could clearly see part of his penis. I'm amazed SI editors didn't catch this, or at least do a better job with the airbrush.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Both. The shooting is worse, and everyone thinks they can shoot the 3-pointer, which makes the shooting appear even worse than it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted