1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the national media understand why KY fans are tired of Tubby?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Feb 18, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon Oz, you're smarter than that.
    You know you can't compare UConn/Calhoun or Syracuse/Boehiem to Kentucky/Tubby.
    What was UConn's tradition before Calhoun? What was 'Cuse's tradition before Boeheim?

And since D-3 Fan mentioned Joe B. Halll, I wil offer the following:

THE WORST FUCKING COACH EVER TO WIN A NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP!

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

spnited, I was a toddler when UK won it under Joe B.. Was he that bad, in contrast to what I was told?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Between you and Columbo, we've got both ends of the hyperbole spectrum safely covered.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

College J---your diss on Tubby is typical of Big Blue arrogance, that the rest of the top 30 or 40 programs in the nation are supposed to just lie down and let UK win 25-30 games a year and a national title every six or seven years.

Face it, there are at least 8-10 programs nationally with a recent-decades legacy every bit as good as kentucky's, and as long as those schools are around trying, seasons with double-digit losses are not tragic.

KY fans have been griping ever since the baron retired and they practically crucified Joe B,. even after he won a national title.

Who the heck do you think UK is? God's gift to college basketball, and Tubby is screwing it up?

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Maybe they can hire Ashley Judd.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, the hockey team's got her. :D

[​IMG]

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I remember them playing DePaul in an 8-9 game to draw Duke second round once. Even Roy wasn't immune to down years at KU, though granted, some other schools would kill for those down years. (Hi MizzouSportsJournalists.com! :D )

And spnited, you're right about the tradition at those schools. I never thought about that. I looked at coaches and performance, nothing more. Kentucky went 32-4, 27-5 and 28-6 before last year's 22-13. Kind of hard to call for someone's head when he's winning that many games.

Yeah, so you haven't won a national title since 1998. Add another 10 years to that for KU fans, who haven't asked that coaches get canned for great regular seasons and quick March exits.

As great as some programs are, you're not owed anything. My junior and senior years in Lawrence, KU lost only three regular season games -- those seasons ended to Arizona in the Sweet 16 and Rhode Island in the second round. In college basketball, that's going to happen sometimes. It's a six-game crapshoot. Always has been, always will be. You have to learn to accept that Kentucky simply isn't guaranteed a title once every five years.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There were national columnists -- at least one, anyway -- writing about Kentucky's recruting problems before even the fans noticed what was going wrong.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's a nice little story you've woven there.
    It's complete crap, but it's a nice story.
    UK hired Tubby in 1997 because he'd already won in the SEC (and at Tulsa), he was highly qualified and because it was time for UK to rid itself of the racism issue. Tubby now has as many national titles as Donovan does.
    At the time Tubby was hired, Donovan already was at Florida, no longer at Marshall.
    So don't go making stuff up, OK CJ?

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Like I said, I hardly expect us to win a national title every five years. I do expect us to have the talent to at least compete for an SEC title.

My biggest problem with Tubby Smith isn't what happens in the tournament. I think I've already made that clear. Hell, I made three excuses for the man.

It's that Tubby doesn't bust his ass getting talent to UK. There's no reason Bobby Perry, Sheray Thomas, Lukasz Obrzut, Rekalin Sims, Shagari Alleyne, Brandon Stockton or Josh Carrier should have ever worn Kentucky uniforms. None at all. But they did because Tubby either a) doesn't have the talent to recruit kids to UK or b) doesn't try hard enough.

And he has major flaws in the system he runs at UK. UK scored 2 points in 9:45 Sat. to start the game, and it was the defense he was bitching about. His teams don't move on offense, they don't know how to play offense, and they haven't played very good offense since 1998, when those kids already knew how to play offense.

You can play pretty damn good defense over a 10 minute span, and if you score 2 points, it doesn't mean jackshit. Am I wrong on that? No.

That's it. I'm not going to get excited about it one way or the other, because I really don't care. I didn't start this thread to get into a bitching match anyway, I just wanted to see how members of the media saw this situation.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

To be relevant on the national stage, UK needs to go back to its Rupp/Hall era recruiting strategy (which hasn't worked as well in football ... see Mumme, Hal).

Just hope the NCAA looks the other way when the FedEx envelope bursts.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hondo is 100 percent right... If Alabama football fans are the biggest lunatics in sports, Kentucky basketball fans are a relatively close second...

If they fire Tubby, they'll have a hard time finding a top person willing to leave their current job when they know that nothing they ever do will be enough...

Draft saved Draft deleted