1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the election spell the end of FOX News dominance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Um, which rock did you uncover that gem about Michael Moore wanting America to lose the war? I'm guessing it was the same rock that produced such gems as voting for Democrats = voting for the terrorists and that all liberals are traitors.

Put the Ann Coulter book down and turn down the Neanderthal bleatings of Sean Hannity. Your brain will thank you.

2. Well, it's true that the Democrats don't support much legislation to stop terrorism, but here's Michael to tell you more on that:
    "The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not 'insurgents' or 'terrorists' or 'The Enemy.' They are the revolution, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow - and they will win."

Next time a roadside bomb explodes, he will be cheering about how the Minutemen are taking down the oppressers.

3. I don't see any glee in that. I see a marginally inapt historical analogy -- Baghdad's closer to Belfast than to Lexington or Concord - and a prediction that's a helluva lot closer to the truth than a lot of those made by people who supported this clusterfuck, especially those on the Fox News Channel. Perhaps because of memos like this one:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/11/14/fox-news-internal-memo-_n_34128.html

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've met Carville. He's a hard-line Dem pro, to the core . . . and he likes things his way . . .
    but you talk to him, you'll get your brain picked -- if you have one. His intellectual curiousity
    is refreshing, so unlike what we've had to endure, top down, since '01.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If 31 percent of Americans continue to believe that George Bush is doing a fine job as president, I suppose the future will be fine for the conservative buffoons who watch FOX News. They'll get their sensationalized, biased reporting from people who couldn't cut the mustard at a real news network. But I really do urge the FOX fans to come to their senses. Like anyone who still supports Bush, you're making yourselves look like irrational imbeciles. I'm truly embarrassed for you. At least some of the conservative folks have admitted that maybe Bush wasn't the right guy for the job. I have tons of respect for those people. We can debate the role of the welfare state all day, but you just can't debate the fiasco that Bush has created.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It all revolves around Bill O'Reilly. All of it. He's the entire network. Without him, Fox News slips to second, maybe third. He has far more credibility and reach than some Democrats realize. He's the most trusted name in news. Like it or not. I don't particularly trust him, but I've had enough people on both sides of political fence tell me they do, or at least think he's telling it like it is.

What - Americans are supposed to trust Katie Couric and Charles Gibson more? Morning people? No.

The best thing liberals could do is concede his position, voice, and power. The man's ego is such- there are few in the world more starved for Democrats' approval than Bill O'Reilly - that it would actually pay dividends for the donkey team. If you acknowledge him, you immediately begin to remove the underdog/man-in-the-street profile he clings to.

As for Hannity…he once claimed that the US had a covenant with God. A covenant with God. A covenant. With God. It’s nothing less than total blasphemy.

7. JackS

JackS Member

You couldn't be more correct, sir. I think that's what drives people crazy. Not me...I think his program is terrific...including his arrogance, his inane obsessions and the whole deal, but it drives a lot of people nuts.

And BTW, I'm 99% sure Ann Coulter doesn't get paid a dime from Fox News. She's just a guest. Now the fact that they actually pay that buffoon Dick Morris is what's more amazing.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Did the news divisions of CBS, ABC and NBC go away after Nixon, Regan, Bush I and Bush II got elected?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

First class shift. wtf does that have to do with anything (I ask rhetorically, please don't respond)

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Bill O'Reilly would make a great president. Rather than trying to communicate with foreign leaders and Congress, he could just burst forth into an irrational tirade packed with name-calling and insensitive personal attacks. That's the way to solve problems. Send out the petitions today!

Okay...tongue removed from cheek...I get why people worship this imbecile. They're fed up with the political system and the stuffed shirts who run the country. For a host of reasons, I can't say that I blame them. It's just that they have taken solace in a false prophet.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

YES

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Heineken,

Imbecile is a strong word. O'Reilly may be a beloved figure for the right, but no less so that Maureen Dowd is for the left. Dowd's won a Pulitzer, and her analysis of the world boils down to mommys and daddys. She actually goes on TV and says the phrase "Who's Your Daddy?" when describing the relationship between the Bush Administration to America. I am no fan of the Bush Administration - probably one of its harshest critics - but she's becoming harder and harder to respect.

Draft saved Draft deleted