1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Rubin have a problem?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Jul 27, 2009.

1. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4359215

So, how does he cover the Mets now?

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Rubin's problem is that Omar Minaya is a thin-skinned asshole who chose to behave unprofessionally in a press conference.

I agree, though, that it will probably make for an awkward environment on the beat.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

That's why a reporter should trust no one.

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

I can't see Rubin as the Mets' beat reporter for much longer, nor do I see anyone ever believing anything that comes out of Omar's mouth again.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Here's a related question: Is there anything unprofessional or inappropriate about a beat writer asking one of the owners for advice on how to get a front office job?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, at least until Omar gets canned.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think it's inappropriate, soliciting career advice from the people you cover.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd call it dangerous if you're in a competitive situation like NYC. If an owner thinks you're looking for a way out, would he be as fair with you as other reporters?

If you have a decent relationship with another owner across the country, perhaps asking him would be better. Or maybe you just can't go there at all. At any rate, pretty interesting discussion.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The owner might also think that if he tells the reporter he'll talk him up around the league for a front office job, he'll be able to expect favorable coverage in return. The more I think about it, even if the situation didn't go any farther than Rubin admitted, he probably still has to be yanked from the beat.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The new beat reporter for the NYDN:

[​IMG]

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

WFW. They are not our friends, they are not our mentors.

Hell, I wouldn't trust someone from the team I covered if they offered me a swell job at double my current money. You quit your paper, they lay you off a month later, just to get you off the beat. Frankly, if the folks I covered liked my work so much, I would feel I wasn't fully doing my job in terms of tough coverage.

This is, of course, one of the growing problems with newspapers nowadays. We still have to "have their backs" by upholding standards and ethics, even when so many clearly do not have our backs in terms of employment, pay and so on.

But I'd say, better to wait for the layoff or buyout before you sniff around the folks you cover for a job.

12. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I agree that Rubin was in a fuzzy area here, but Minaya is the one who's looking like the complete ass grasping at straws. And that's pretty hard to do when it's a journalist/general manager who are at odds. Rubin, just like all beat writers, spends A LOT of time around these people. If he asked some of them what it might take to get into the player development side of baseball one day, I don't have a huge problem with that. Obviously, if he was lobbying for a job with the Mets that wouldn't be right. But could Minaya really think that Rubin thought he was going to leap from beat writer into Bernazard's old job and that would slant his coverage of this incident? That's just absurd. Even Minaya knows that. This was just a vindictive attempt at trying to even the score.

Draft saved Draft deleted