1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Obama have a Jewish problem?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dragonfly, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Obviously, scounderels who want their name associated with politicial contributions and don't want it known publicly will find a way to launder the contribution. You think our friends in Al-Queda and other terrorist organizations have got money in one hand, soap in the other?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If nothing else, this does make me more interested to hear what Obama has to say about this country's relationship with Israel.

I do find any connection with Farakhan to be deeply disturbing given his open bigotry against Jewish people and other minority groups. This is a man who in response to being called a "Black Hitler" actually embraced the title. Of course, he claimed it was in reference to Hitler's rebuilding of Germany, but to actually embrace such a comparison?

Oh, and he has insisted that he never called Judiasm a "gutter religion." He claims he called it a "dirty religion." Well, that makes me feel so much better.

And to point to powerful lobbyists as the only reason that the United States supports Israel is also unfair, though it is definitely a big reason. There are others, including supporting a democracy and a perhaps overly-idealistic desire to stand by an ally no matter how unpopular that ally may be.

I'm torn about Israel. As a Jew, there is a part of me that feels obligated to support it. I'm an American first. I've never been there and don't plan to go, but the place does hold meaning for me. But I understand that supporting Israel does come at a price and some of what Israel has become may not fit in with our own ideals. Things would definitely be easier for the U.S. in international relations without Israel as an ally, but the easy path isn't always the right one.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's a supposition there, and a might leap at that. You have NO idea how anyone involved in that truly feels, other than the opinion writer. And to make the claim that the opinion writer would have signed that letter is sheer foolishness.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Living a righteous life comes with a price.

Commitment to obligations also comes with a price.

The only people who really don't give a crap about Israel are those who think the Bible is a fantasy tale. Connect the dots here with Obama if you will...would he care more about the Koran beneath the facade of the most liberal Christian denomination on earth? I'm not accusing, just supposing.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You are accusing, Yawn.

And what solid evidence leads you to believe that Obama would uphold the Koran above the Bible?

And your claim about the Bible and Israel? Pure tripe, plain and simple.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, good morning, self-righteous thought police.
    We playing judge this morning? Of course.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well of course you'd consider it tripe because you've probably never darkened the doors of any fundmantalist church in this country. Do me a favor and ignore me.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Instead of playing that, game, why don't you answer the question? Or are you a coward?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, there goes the opportunity for any reasonable debate on this thread

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I can't answer it for you, Alley, because you can't relate to the answer because you can't relate or understand the position of most fundamentalist Christians. Go to johnhagee.com and do some reading. You want answers, find them.

I put my comments out there not as a particular endorsement but as a point of discussion. You immediately played you know-it-all, read-everyone's mind card. I'm not arguing nor discussing this with a condescending twit.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

It doesn't have to be, out, because I'm no longer responding to condescending tones. Which eliminates only one person. Now, back to the discussion.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . including us diligent members of the citizenry.

But, then, other than the top 5% income-earners, rest of us don't mean shit to the established crew -- until it's time to vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted