1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Koran Justify Terror?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

OK, I...will...type...very...slowly.
    The discussion was the use by violent men of books recognized by major faiths to be sacred, (There was a sidetrack when Junkie challenged us all on Tim McVeigh and was, well, wrong.) Your last sentence is something I never argued, or proposed. (Also, "Christian terrorists" in quotes is a nice touch. Is Rudolph a terrorist or not?) But, as a matter of fact, when it comes to native-born American terrorists, history says that they're far more likely to have been raised Christian.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: The Koran justifies Killing

The bottom line is that these religious zealots of any stripe gain the upper hand when everything else has gone to hell.

And we have aided and abetted with it going to hell in certain countries, primarily because it suited the oil companies.

You can blame Islam, you can blame the bombers or you can blame the god-awful mess in Iraq for creating more terrorists.

Plenty of blame to go around and it ain't all in some book.

3. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

I stalk not, but I do screw up.
    Sorry, Junk.

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Required reading before this thread goes any further:

• The True Believer by Eric Hoffer
    • Book of Judges, Old Testament

Continue on.

BTW: Thanks, Chuck. Always enjoy the historical context.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re:Radical Islam Hides Behind Koran to Justify Violence.

If you really want to blame someone , think deeper -- blame Sayyid Qutb who created the whole radical islamic movement. Bin Laden' partner in crime - Zawari was a loyal follower of Qutb teachings.

6. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

Maybe if the West hadn't propped up the people it propped up all through the region, Qutb's teachings wouldn't have found an audience.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i think fundamentalists in any religion are bad. at that point, whether its Islam, Judiaism or Christianity, it turns religion into a "i'm right, you are wrong' mentality. I don't think that was the point of religion. fundamentalism breeds intolerance for others and their beliefs. the only difference nowadays is some people use rhetoric to spread their beliefs, and others incorporate violence.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you include Israel in the group of "propped" up that you refer to?

Qutbs teachings found an audience because of the Egyption government and how they dealt with the radical sect of islamists. Qutbs was thrown in jail. I doubt that had anything to do with the western world at that time.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

quality stuff break.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to mitigate their terrible acts but one person died in the Olympic bombing. Their combined kills wouldn't amount to anything close to one suicide bomber in a Jerusalem disco.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Koran doesn't "justify" anything. Nor does the Bible.

The people reading them do.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So the body count is the ultimate deciding factor, then?

Draft saved Draft deleted