1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Jesus care about poker?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 18, 2007.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Ask your 2007 Main Event champion, Jerry Yang, who seems to think that he got all those great cards because he asked God for them.

This will spark an interesting debate. Poker is gambling, after all. And last I heard, Jesus wasn't all that into gambling.

Thoughts?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I truly do not mean to spark a religious debate, but I ask as someone who's not as Bible knowledgeable as others...

Does the Bible actually say "Thou shalt not gamble?" I did a search on a couple of sites but found nothing specifically relating to gambling.

3. Five to one it doesn't.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. Jesus wants you all in behind those pocket tens.

[​IMG]

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Honestly, how is this all that different from a football player thanking God for allowing him to win a big game? Blah blah blah, "god-given talent," I don't care. It's still suggesting that God/Jesus give a damn about a game.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I would easily pay $20 to get that on a tee shirt.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

JESUS ALWAYS DRAWS THAT INSIDE STRAIGHT

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Jesus certainly knew about bad beats

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not that knowledgable on the Bible these days, but I do believe there's something in it about avoiding vices. I believe gambling has come to be associated with a vice, as has alcoholism and smoking. I think it has something to do with following God and not being controlled by something else.

That's pretty basic and perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can clean up my ham-handed explanation, but I think it's something along those lines.

That said, I think it's just another case of Catholics taking all the fun out of life.

Oh, and I laughed at Captain_Kirk's comment. Well played.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

God, and Jesus, cares about everything.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jesus kicked my ass at Texas hold 'em at APSE judging last year.

12. Jesus loves the little children.
    And pocket Aces.

Draft saved Draft deleted