1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it make it difficult to root for Kobe ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, May 21, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, same here. I've got mixed feelings on the whole "role model" thing.

There have always been bad apples in the barrel, along with good ones. But maybe our era of 24-hour media shines a more unforgiving spotlight on their actions. I guess I could watch a game and root against certain athletes that I happen to dislike, but why spend my time doing that when there is an abundance of more enjoyable things to watch?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, believe me, I have plenty of issues with some of the people in the NFL. I think Roger Goodell does, too. He wasn't blind to what was happening and knew he had to take decisive actions to keep the NFL from becoming what happened to the NBA. Thus the suspensions and such.

The NFL has a couple of things working in its favor, however. First, the rosters are much larger, so few single players draw the same amount of attention that their NBA counterparts do. It's more interwoven into the team game, as opposed to showcasing individuals. So, someone like "Pacman" Jones or Michael Vick is deemed more expendable.

Second, it hasn't hit the league's top stars yet. If, say, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady got caught up in something, it would be a much bigger deal. But, yeah, sure it is an issue.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A 10x Pro Bowler, 2x Defensive Player of the Year, Super Bowl MVP and future Hall of Famer in Ray Lewis isn't "top star" enough for you?

Michael Vick wasn't a "top star"? Little and Burress are both Super Bowl champions and All-Pro players.

Man, those are some serious blinders you got on.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, not to him they aren't. They're black.

Out of curiosity what has the NBA done that is worse than the NFL?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Seriously, what the hell is your problem Sonner? I didn't say anything I would have been afraid to type if I were using my real name above.

Where the hell did you get THAT stick that's up your ass right now?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Technically, it's not up my ass right now. It was up my ass last night. Along with a lot of other sticks that took their place in my posterior as a result of listening to and engaging in a mindless debate about, well, I'm not exactly sure anymore.

But honestly, after reading your post, then mine just now, I definitely misread your post. My apologies.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Apologies accepted. All of them. ;)

I was definitely taken aback because it looked as though your response 1) was not proportional to what I wrote and 2) should have been directed elsewhere. But since we're back to understanding each other, it's all good.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. The "debate" with 93 made me a little dizzy. And you're right. My post made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

What amazes me is how many people villify Kobe yet treat the NFL -- a league full of criminals -- like a freaking religious experience.
    I'll bet that most of those Kobe haters are the same peole who think Michael Vick deserves a second chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted