1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does homeschooling violate liberal values?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 17, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, Dick, that's kind of my point. Wherever they learn it, basic common sense is underrated as part of a child's education.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's the difference between liberal and conservative values? At the extremes, they are close to the same in how they're put into practice.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Then why the hell do people talk about liberal and conservative values so much?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on my experiences, it seems like most people who homeschool their kids when there are no special needs involved, are pretty extreme one way or the other...

We have a neighbor who is homeschooling their kids because the school refused to enforce their vegan diet. The argument was that they wanted the teachers and the administrators to make sure that her kids never do anything evil like eat a cupcake at a birthday party or take a sip of milk... The running joke in the neighborhood is that after the prinicipal met the mother, they decided to do whatever it takes to make sure they never had to deal with her again.

I know of a couple people who homeschool because they don't think there is enough religion taught in the public or private schools.

When my cousin, who has Aspergers was going through school, they begged my aunt to homeschool him and she refused.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I can't stand vegan conservatives.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My wife makes the day care feed our son organic milk and he's not allowed to drink orange juice there.

I bet they think we are gigantic pains in the ass.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm so mechanically inept I'm better off reading the Great Gatsby for the fifth time as preparation to fix a broken heater.

8. Mizzougrad96

That's not that bad. There are a lot of people who don't want their kids eating citrus at school/day care because it can be hard to digest and it can make kids throw up if they eat/drink too much at a time. We had that issue with my youngest.

There's a kid in my son's kindergarden class who I'm convinced isn't allowed to eat anything other than wheat grass. We were at a school pizza party at the zoo and while all of the other kids were chowing pizza, these two granola parents pulled out some ridiculously fancy thermos and the kid drank something green.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Lime-flavored sizzurp?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At both extremes, it's about someone telling you what to do. For kicks and giggles, where is the discussion on anarchism?

11. Mizzougrad96

At my youngest's daycare, if you want to bring in cookies or cupcakes for a birthday party, they give you a list of rules that you have to abide by. It's something like, it can be Betty Crocker, but not Duncan Hines because one has some ingredient that the other does not. Cookies can have chocolate chips, but not white chocolate chips and not butterscotch chips.

The last time we brought in cupcakes, I told the director they were made with peanut butter and shellfish.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We couldn't bring in anything homemade to my boys' grade school. Everything had to be packaged, no sugary drinks, and nothing with peanuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted