1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?- Updated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 1, 2008.

?

Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    83.1%
  3. Moot point - he won't win either way.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?

I humbly disagree. I think Hillary truly believed that the 2008 Democratic nomination and Presidency was her destiny. I think she thought that Obama would willingly take the Vice-Presidency in her cabinet. Instead, he ran a better race and she had to resort to deplorable tactics.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's a charming picture, but impolitic.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Obama drilled himself on the party rules, and proceeded to do what it took to have a shot. He was an impossible underdog early last fall, and look what happened. HRC thought she didn't have to sweat the caususes (HUGE mistake) . . . and Bill essentially finished it off by playing the big, fat patronizing
    "Jesse Jackson" card the evening after South Carolina. Once he'd screwed that up, HRC's above-board chances were slim, none and fat.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://washingtonindependent.com/view/commentary-clinton

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I completely agree with this. I don't know if Hillary will actually accept, but she wants to be offered the job and given the VIP treatment -- publicly stated top choice, no real background vetting, etc.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is there any chance of their cutting a deal whereby he says to her, "Look, we'll start floating the rumor, we'll only half-heartedly deny it, and you can enjoy that for a couple weeks. Then you get to have a big event where you graciously decline and say you'll go back to the Senate and work on behalf of the American people, and we'll pick whoever we want."

Yeah I know. There isn't.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not optimistic that even Obamacans can elevate Barack Obama to victory in November -- assuming that he's the nominee, which isn't nailed down yet.

If Clinton is on that ticket in November, I'm voting for McCain.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If HRC is on the ticket in November, I"m finding another country.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

he does not need her. I voted for Bubba twice. I am SO disgusted with them right now, I can't even tell you. Although I cannot yet bring myself to type in that I'd vote GOP if Hil was veep.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is going to be a tricky dance for both of them. He has to confer with her about the Veep spot. That is a given. But if it appears he was forced to take her he is weakened, if it looks like he NEEDS to take her, he is weakened. If HRC is offered it and says yes, she looks weakened, if its offered to her and she declines, Obama is weakened. If Obama loses in November, regardless of whether she is on the ticket or not, Clinton will be weakened. Sure, she could come back in four years and run, but I guarantee there will be another candidate to take up Obama's voters.
    I can only imagine what "unnamed sources" will be saying about Obama's selection. There are a lot of axes being grinded right now.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Obama needs someone to win over the disaffected white voters "Reagan Democrats" if you will and Hispanics in states like Florida and the southwest. But doesn't he also need someone with foreign policy and/or military experience i.e. Wesley Clark? McCain is going to be beating that POW you haven't been to Iraq drum all summer long.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he sure sounded like he was going to name her during his speech today.

Draft saved Draft deleted