1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?- Updated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 1, 2008.

?

Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    83.1%
  3. Moot point - he won't win either way.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?

Hillary would never sniff the nomination. Not after the shit she's pulled the last two months.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nope. He doesn't even have to put one of her supporters on the ticket either.

3. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

Strickland -- at least for now -- is saying he would not accept an offer to be VP.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog02&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3aec38bb2b-982e-46ba-819a-da01a547e8eaPost%3a190447be-b07e-4c54-aa1d-0f7923d309f2&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They always say that. Then when they take the VP slot they can say, "Well, I wanted to make sure I would be a key part of the administration..."

If they don't get it, they can say they didn't want it...

It's kind of like most coaching searchs... :D

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'm a pretty strong Obama supporter. But if Hillary is on the ticket, I don't think I can vote for him. I seriously think she would be the most like Dubya of any of the three candidates, in terms of governing style (very insular, partisan, tight-lipped, combative with the media, etc.). Obviously, she wouldn't have too much impact as a VP, but she'd be one breath away from the presidency. And with Obama being the first black president, I don't think you can discount that.

If Hillary were on the ticket, I'd try to vote for McCain. But if he put Romney on there, I'm not sure what I'd do. Is anybody from SportsJournalists.com running? I can be bought rather easily.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't imagine she'd want it. That, for Obama anyway, would be the ideal scenario. Offer her the gig, which she declines to work for the people of the state of New York, etc., etc., then pick who the hell he wanted in the first place.
    Unless you're VP for an easily manipulated simpleton like GWB, Veep is a TERRIBLE job for a person of ability and ambition, which Clinton is. U.S. Senator on the other hand, is an excellent gig.

7. Re: Does he have to put her on the ticket to win?

If he wants to win the almighty Puerto Rico, then yes.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It will be a political calculation, and Obama has enough time to gauge where he's at in July and see if he needs her or not.

For what it's worth, Survey USA does state-by-state polls where they include potential VP candidates. Obama/Edwards polls far higher than pretty much every other possibility.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll add her ... Reagan did it in 1980 after an acrimonious primary campaign and it worked for him, but I just can't see it happening this time.

Clinton supporter? Bill Richardson would be a pretty good choice -- moderate, executive experience, has been in the White House, liked by the Clintons (at least until he endorsed Obama), no baggage.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If you look at state-by-state polling, putting her on the ticket becomes somewhat compelling.

Take PA, for example. Without her, he loses to McCain by 4. With her, he wins by 7.

That said, I don't think she actually wants it. I think she wants to be offered it-- very publicly.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To me, putting her on the ticket is a liability.
    Putting a Clinton supporter on the ticket has a better chance than putting Clinton on the ticket.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Her bold speech today was her audition for the veep spot, based on what you're referring to, selling herself as an electoral college asset.

Draft saved Draft deleted