1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Damon Allen belong in the Football Hall of Fame? Marino says no Moon, yes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Under no circumstances?

Well, I guess you better hang on to your "NFL only" Hall of Fame because it's the only sport left where you dominate internationally.

Basketball? Nope.
    Baseball? Scratch that.
    Hockey? Not a chance.
    Tennis.? Federer and no one else.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm only talking about football.

Federer isn't American.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Frank Mathers is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Baseball has opened its Hall of Fame to greats from the Negro League.

Damon Allen should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and probably should a few other CFL greats.

And while I know the level of play isn't necessarily the point here, anyone who brings Arena League into the discussion simply doesn't have a clue about the level of play in the CFL. It is to laugh.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, if he wouldn't have been enough to be an All-Pro type QB in the NFL, why are we talking about him as a Hall of Famer? Warren Moons HOF case is based on his NFL accomplishments, not the CFL stuff.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know. Federer is Swiss.

You're missing the point.

You are saying CATEGORICALLY that an athlete with Damon Allen's accomplishments can NEVER be considered for the Football Hall of Fame because he didn't play in the NFL. That's a little closed minded and slightly American[-centric.

And international competition in other sports shows that your athletes don't dominate--so why would you automatically be dismissive of one of the greatest players ever in another league?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

But if anyone ever does pass for 70,000 yards in the Arena League, I hope the naysayers will let us know so we can consider him too. ;D

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good point, Shot. As has been pointed out several times here, no one considers to be the CFL to be on a par with the NFL but it's a different game with different skill sets required. The guys who play up here aren't fourth rate athletes.

Ricky Williams has been an absolute bust up here--he didn't get bad all of a sudden. He just couldn't adapt to the Canadian game. He said, "football is football". Well, no it's not.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And if he hadn't proven himself in the CFL he would have never played in the NFL. Being a black, QB and all.

And Moon pointed that out in his HOF speech. He considered his days with Edmonton an integral and important part of his career.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This argument gets funnier. Nothing like using an NFL player who's been suspended twice as the main point of your argument.

Doesn't matter what the Hall is called. Right now, Henry Burris, former Temple starter and NFL bust, is starting in the CFL. That should be an indication right there of the quality of play.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dye Pack, if you've never seen a CFL game--which I suspect you haven't --STFU.

Ricky Williams was an example, not my main point.

And what does his smoking grass have to do with his skill set?

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I have seen many CFL games, including from this season, when the aforementioned Burris threw a duck that hung up long enough for any NFL defensive lineman to intercept. In the CFL, it was a completed pass.

The point about Williams: He's not exactly the best and brightest the NFL has to offer.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No.

Negro leagues are in baseball Hall of Fame because they weren't ALLOWED in the big leagues.

Zero such issue talking about CFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted