1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Charlie Weis get fired or forced to quit?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 30, 2008.

?

Simple question. Does Charlie Weis get fired or forced to quit?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2008.
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I love how Cowherd will talk about how good of a coach Weis is, only to turn around and point out the obvious about the recruiting classes...

Rivals, Scout, MomandPopWeekly all talk up kids who agree to go to USC, Notre Dame, Florida State, etc. It's how a lot of four-star kids turn into five-stars.

Heard someone talking about this a few weeks back. He pointed out the "top" recruiting classes Florida State had for some many years, talking about how "fast" all the FSU kids were.
    He nullified the argument by talking about how many FSU kids are now NFL studs. Not too many. However fast they were running away from kids in high school was cut down in college and then even more so on Sundays. Ergo, the player rankings are extremely flawed.
    Hard to argue with that.

So have fun with a losing season next year, Charlie. Your recruits might not mean dick.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

wazzu will have a healthy qb next year. they will still suck. they will beat notre dame.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, i dunno.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

The Sun Bowl is going ga-ga over Notre Dame. Its CEO said two weeks ago (pre-Syracuse loss) that they'd invite the Irish at 6-6, and thanks to ND's inclusion in the Big East's bowl pecking order, that's a possibility. Here's the thing: If Rutgers beats Louisville this Thursday, there will be enough Big East teams with seven wins that the Sun can't take a six-win ND. Which means Fat Charlie will have to settle for the bowl equivalent of sloppy seconds from a conference that can't fill its allotment.

And to the poster wondering why ND is playing UConn: I believe that's part of ND's gentlemen's agreement to play more teams from the conference in which it claims membership in virtually all other sports.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

GO RUGGERS!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Oregon State would love to end another Notre Dame coaching career. The ass-kicking in the Fiesta Bowl was the beginning of the end for Davie; the Irish canned Willingham before playing the Beavers in the Insight Bowl. Weis may want to stay out of the Sun. ESPN has the Irish going to San Diego for the Poinsettia against BYU or Hawaii against Hawaii.
    It really makes me ill to think Ohio State might jump Boise for the final at-large. I'd love to see Boise and Utah in the Fiesta and Texas play Bama/Florida loser in the Sugar.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is something not right with the poll question. It can't be answered in a simple yes/ no. Shouldn't choices be
    1 - Fired
    2 - Forced to resign
    3 - Allowed to stay

Anyhow my vote is fired. For all of Charlie's supposed offensive expertise the High School in my town runs a more sophisticated offense than ND.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

At worst? Notre Dame has the talent to be way better than 6-6, but if they continue on as they have been going:

Nevada: 7-5 so far. Played Texas Tech & Boise relatively tough. ND should beat them easily, but Nevada is not the pushover some of those Sun Belt and C-USA games are for other big programs early in the season.
    @ Michigan: A year to recruit for his spread offense and Rich Rodriguez will almost definitely have a better team next year. This is no gimme for a mediocre ND team.
    Michigan State: Beat ND resoundingly this year. No gimme.
    @Purdue: ND won easily this year. ND should be able to handle them because they have dropped to bottom of the Big Ten.
    Washington: Program in disarray, but a new coach coming in. ND should be able to win.
    USC: Not in a million years.
    Boston College: 17-0 BC this year. ND lost to both ACC teams it faced.
    Wash. St: Horrible team. Won't be much better last year. ND should have an easy game.
    Navy: Never a gimme, including this year. Navy had the ball to win.
    Pitt: No gimme. Pitt is the better program. Pitt won this year and ND lost to Syracuse, too.
    UConn: No gimme. 7-5, played a tougher schedule than ND and every game has been close.
    Stanford: 28-21 ND this year. No gimme, though.

Let's say for arguments sake ND is about as good as it was this year? I could see it beating Nevada, Purdue, Washington, Washington State and Navy. Michigan, Michigan State, BC, Pitt, UConn and Stanford can go either way--more than half of those teams looking better than ND to me right now. USC is not happening. How do you see 9-3 at worst? I see a possible 5-7 in there, if they quit like they looked to this year.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As slappy mentioned, that is a great reason to root for Rutgers. The thing to remember is that invitations to that level of bowl game are not based on merit. It is based on potential revenue. On merit, there is no way Notre Dame should get a better invite than Pitt, which has a better record and won head-to-head.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Part of the problem with the recruiting rankings is that Tom Lemming loves Notre Dame so much he wants to take it behind a middle school and have its baby. If a kid commits to ND, Lemming believes the kid is a stud. So naturally, ND is going to do quite well in his rankings. And the rating system of Lemming/Rivals/etc. all rely on the idea that if they have heard of the kid and a lot of school want him, ergo he must be a top recruit.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You know, I remember an AP story in late 2005 about him getting an extension BEFORE HE FINISHED ONE YEAR, because of all the rumours he would leave for an NFL head coaching job. (He was offensive coordinator for the Patriots prior to going to Notre Dame).

So, it just shows how quickly things can change. People forget he went to BCS bowls his first two seasons before Brady Quinn graduated.

So, yeah, I think it's silly and hypocritical to fire a coach based on two poor seasons. Besides, who you gonna get that's better? They already went through this with Bob Davie, George O'Leary, Tyrone Willingham, etc.

It ain't like Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, Jim Tressel or Pete Carroll is going to come in. Heck, even Urban Meyer passed them up.

Let's face facts: Notre Dame, while still a solid program, is no longer the Holy Grail of college football. Admissions standards are hard, classes even harder. No redshirts, no JUCOs. One of the toughest schedules year-in, year-out. The state schools make life far easier on the jocks who can't even spell "Touchdown".

I admire a lot of what Notre Dame stands for, but I don't expect them to go 10-2 every year and play in a BCS bowl. Just the reality of it. To change coaches again (third time in 9 years) would be to set the program back even further. Leave Weis alone and he'll build a program.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with Notre Dame at this point is they have a national TV contract, Weis is among the top 5 highest paid coaches in college football, Notre Dame is currently the 57th ranked team in Sagarin (between FCS Villanova and Illinois) and has a schedule ranked 36th, between Michigan State and Washington State.
    The problem with the program is that people see Notre Dame and think football power and it really hasn't been one since Lou Holtz was there. Weis is making big bucks for coaching ghosts.

Draft saved Draft deleted