1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Bill O'Reilly have a Brian Williams problem?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 20, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well then, it's a really good thing that Mother Jones is investigating this, and they have shattered that trust you have in Bill O'Reilly and his past as a "legit journalist" who has always told the absolute truth.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bill O'Reilly called someone a "guttersnipe?"

Did he also claim to have had his pocket picked while covering the Oliver Twist trial?

SFIND, HC and vicd like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ragu, you do realize that probably 75 percent of an entire mainstream political party believe you can't get the truth anywhere EXCEPT from O'Reilly and his ilk, right?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

O'Reilly:

In the interview, O'Reilly said that he never claimed to have been on the Falkland Islands.

"I was not on the Falkland Islands and I never said I was. I was in Buenos Aires... In Buenos Aires we were in a combat situation after the Argentines surrendered."

As he writes in The No Spin Zone, O'Reillywas in Buenos Aires whenthousands of Argentines took to the streets to protest the military junta for surrendering to the Brits. O'Reilly says that the Army shot into the crowd. (Corn and his colleague Daniel Schulman say this was not war action.)

"It was clear that I did not say I was in the Falkland Islands.
    I've done myriad interviews over the years and I never said that," O'Reilly told On Media.

Bill O'Reilly: Mother Jones report 'garbage' - POLITICO.com

Except for all those times he did mention he was in the Falklands, he's right.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm of that political party ilk and I don't watch Fox News or listen to Hannity, Limbaugh, and Beck, etc. Sometimes those organizations do a lot more harm than good.

Oh... and you mean O'Reilly DIDN'T DO IT LIVE? (Longtime O'Reilly watchers will get the joke.)

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

Did Mother Jones verify that fact for you?

There are about 55 or 60 million registered Republicans nationwide.

Fox news averages about 2 million viewers during prime time (much less than that during non prime-time hours). 75 percent of that entire mainstream political party wouldn't even know how to find Fox News on their TV, let alone allow it to have the sway over them that you think it does.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just because they average 2 million each night doesn't mean that only 2 million out of 55-60 million registered Republicans watch it on a semi-regular basis.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Liberals need to tell themselves that THE GREAT MAJORITY OF REPUBLICANS spend hours masturbating to Fox News coverage. In fact, being the perverted Godless heathens they are, at least 75 percent masturbate to those very thoughts.

9. Dick Whitman

I think it's funny that conservatives use "godless" as an insult.

10. The Big Ragu

I didn't suggest anything like that.

I am suggesting that without even doing any kind of ratings analysis, I can tell you that 100 percent of Fox News viewership isn't Republican, it skews more heavily older (like 70 years old, older) than most networks (even the news networks), and that there is NOT a rotating cycle of 40 million people that account for 2 to 3 million viewers a night.

That doesn't even address whether the people watching actually think they can't get truth anywhere else, except Fox News.

11. Dick Whitman

Right. In my experience, the people who trumpet Fox News are typically moderate Democrats.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

G

Draft saved Draft deleted