1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does belly sweat destroy your credibility?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So I'm out today doing football tab stuff and then covering a softball game, and it's easily 95 degrees outside. Needless to say, by the time I finished up I'm drenched in sweat. And, of course, today I made the mistake of wearing a medium-colored shirt so it really, REALLY shows. Like I'd just been doused with a cooler of water shows. I didn't hear any snickering, but for some reason I got this paranoid thought in my head that, as I walked away, people noticed and we're whispering amongst themselves, "My god, Batman is one sweaty reporter! That's gross! Let's mock him! Ha ha!"
    So the question is this...on hot days, when your belly sweat, back sweat and whatever else sweat shows, is this a bad thing as far as keeping a professional air about you? How do you play this off? Do people even care or notice? Am I being totally paranoid about nothing?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't sweat. I glow.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wear white t-shirts a lot with a basebal jersey. hard to see if i'm sweating. i've also lost 40 pounds, so i don't sweat like a pig quite as much.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Working as you apparently do near a nuclear power plant.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably a little paranoid about it, but I'd say that's normal, the paranoia and the sweat, that is.

We have an aversion to sweat and sweaty people. Just wear deodorant.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You've soooooooooooooooooooooooooo not spent enough time around middle-aged Southern women Dools  ::)

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Consider buying some Nike Dri-Fit or Under Armour shirts.

They're light as hell, breathe and wick the moisture away from your body. No sweat stains.

And covering high schools, no one's gonna be too touchy about what you're wearing.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I typically wear white undershirts and try to stray from wearing light-colored shorts. Black, navy blue, brown and dark green are all decent choices. Sky blue, not so much.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I normally change into shorts or whatever, but today I went straight from the office to the game. No time to change, and under armour would probably look silly under a button-down shirt. And today, it happened to be a light blue shirt.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I actually keep 1-2 in my car for different situations. Never know when you might need them.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm so glad I've never had this problem. I'm so glad I've never had this problem. I'm so glad....

12. John

John Well-Known Member

As long as you're not the only one there sweating -- see Albert Brooks in Broadcast News -- you shouldn't worry about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted