1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here own a juicer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We're in the market to get one for the purposes of getting more vegetables and fruit into our daily diet and for the kids, who have to be tricked into eating anything other than a carrot or maybe a green pepper.

We've already taken to sneaking sweet potato into their foods, but we thought a juicer might be the better way to go.

I was wondering if anyone had one or used one regularly and had a recommendation. We bought a cheap one a few weeks ago, but it couldn't do anything and had to be cleaned way too often...

Anyone?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't own one. But eat more veggies than anyone I know.

Whenever I hear the word juicer, I think of Jack LaLanne.

3. Mizzougrad96

That's the one we're looking at.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Roger Clemens could never get me out.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The police seem to own Manny right now.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's the best one.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is the Best Buy recommendation from Consumer Reports.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-67650-Mouth-Extractor/dp/B000FHQJ6C

Works great; huge money saver over comparable technology; offers a really low buy-in to figure out if you like juicing.

Juicing can be pretty expensive and labor intensive. Start here and work your way up.

8. Mizzougrad96

That one looks pretty good... I need to go look at the Jack Lalanne. I really like the idea of being able to drop a full apple in, core and all and just have it juiced in seconds...

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I was given an older model for helping a guy move out of his apartment. It was cool at first and there are literally endless juice combinations you can make, but the machine was bulky, noisy as hell and was a pain to clean. I ended up donating it after a few months. I am sure the newer models are maybe a bit more compact and quieter.

It seems like a good idea, but just make sure you are going to use it before spending a lot of $$$.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Different than the juicer, but I cannot tell you how much I love my pineapple slicer from Pampered Chef.

[​IMG]
    For $3 to $4 and two minutes I have a bowl of fresh sliced pineapple.

11. Mizzougrad96

Do they make something like that for watermelon or canteloupe?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Section anything with hard seeds - like apples and pears. But that's true of almost all juicers. Except maybe the $1000 twin-gear macerating juicers you see in juice shops.

There's nothing this Hamilton Beach won't juice.

In the Consumer Reports test it finished second overall with 69 points. The Juiceman JM503 scored 70 points, winning the category, but retailed for $180.

The Jack Lalanne Power Juicer Pro E-1189 finished dead last of 14 machines with 46 points, and retails for $150.

Draft saved Draft deleted