1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does anyone else just f'n hate live tweeting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think "live-tweeting" (and every tweet is "live" even when you "delay" it) is a positive.

The debates provided some of the funniest material I've ever seen.

I follow a thousand or so people, news orgs, comedians, actors, people here and at 2.0, athletes (and on and on). I should probably prune the list down to 700 or so, but I'm not so sure it would matter. There's a saying about Twitter I love "the news comes to me" and especially during moments of the national collective. I've never been more tuned into the pulse of the national consciousness than during big "live-tweet" events.

I've always felt this way about the Twitter get-off-my-lawners (whose lives must be so goddamn boring and inane that they bitch and moan about "live-tweeting"): If you don't like the essence of Twitter, don't play with Twitter.

Outside of YouTube, it's the best toy on the Web.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hate live tweeting. Especially when 10 writers do it for the same game. Show me some insights or GTFO.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Twitter is a necessary evil, but it's been huge in a small media enterprise like the one I operate in building its brand. We have no money, but two pretty dedicated people, and as a result, we bring a lot of eyeballs to our actual site.

The advantage of social media is that you go get your reader and bring them back to you, rather than expecting your reader to find you.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Just took down the Clantons. #okcorral #dontmesswiththeearps

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i know of a reporter who is seeing a shrink because of tweeting.

he can't sleep. gets up to tweet in the middle of the night.

obsesses about being beaten by a tweet - even on live coverage of games.

told the shrink that he's depressed by the 24/7 relentlessness of it all.

6. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I admit I live tweet for a junior football team I serve as media coordinator for part-time.
    Team has no radio coverage and it gets a good response from followers of the opposition who also don't have radio coverage. Usually tweet about three plays at a time.
    Other teams in the league have started to follow suit.
    I just stay away from twitter for three hours on game day if I don't want to be flooded with their game tweets.
    Advice to unfollow on game day is good advice

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I just don't get it. I don't "have" to know what Kim Kardashian is thinking and I don't need Scott Van Pelt's opinion on something either. I find this form of media really sad and pathetic.

Has anyone seen that Mazda TV commercial where the teenage girl talks about living and how she has so many friends while she's in front of her laptop? Meanwhile, her parents are out mountain biking with the Mazda SUV parked at the foot of the mountain. Have you seen that?

I'm the people mountain biking.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't need to know what Kim Kardashian or Scott Van Pelt are thinking either. In fact, I don't follow either, so I really have no idea. But I do follow people in fields I wish to know about - the sports I cover, writers from our paper, Alan Sepinwall, etc. It's what you want to make of it. I can't tell you how much "breaking news" I've gotten via Twitter and was able to inform our newsroom so they could be prepared (or just to start a conversation).

For me, it is a way to relay information to my followers in a brief and easy format.

Oh, and your TV commercial is just that - a commercial. Being on social media and being actually social are not mutually exclusive.

Said it before, if you are in the business and not on Twitter (at least following people), you are living in the typewriter world. Behind the times.

9. Doc Holliday

Fair enough. I'm behind, and fine with it.

10. I'd find something for that woman (she's an adult) to do. And it was a Toyota commercial.

11. Doc Holliday

She was an adult? She looked kinda young, maybe college age but ok, I don't pay that much attention to commercials, obviously by it actually being Toyota.

My point is, my life is defined well outside the lives of others and social media, twitter, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted