1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anybody own a Pit Bull?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cortez, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

pit bulls are the most pointless animals in the world. stay away from them.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As sweet as the puppy may be, it was very likely the offspring of fighting dogs.

Pit bulls are so widely bred to fight that I would never for a second risk adopting one. Yes, I know, many of them are sweet. And some of them are psychotic -- and those are the ones that are aggressively bred for their fighting potential.

And when someone comes on to defend them with the line "Chihuahuas bite more people than pit bulls," remember -- the chihuahua attacks isn't going to kill you.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Jim. At best they're just stupid. Maybe Mrs. Cortez can be persuaded to save butterflies or something.

4. PCLoadLetter

Or any of the dozens of rescue groups in your area that are working to save the lives of dogs that won't eat you or your neighbors.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

However, I will stipulate that a dog that will eat your neighbors could come in handy.

6. PCLoadLetter

Valid point. Worth consideration.

7. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

Pit bulls are great dogs ... they can be just as lovable as any other dog.
    I'd lean more toward the puppy, though.

As for being worried about the pit bull overtaking your dog, it won't as long as it knows you're in control. At the risk of sounding like Cesar Millan, you must take your dogs out for walks and be in control. Make sure the dog doesn't walk you. If it does, you stop and don't budge until it stops and waits. Once it knows you're in control, you should be fine.

The mistake people make with pit bulls are either 1) they get them and train them to fight, making them vicious or 2) get them, love them for a couple weeks, then stick them out in the backyard and forget about them. They get bored, they get aggressive to work off the extra energy and there ya have it.
    It's not a breed that will train itself. Its natural instincts are to be aggressive. But, if you take the time and effort, the dogs will be fine.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well said.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

I say get a beagle.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've been a doberman man all my life. The only time one bit was when another boy and I were fighting in the neighborhood and she nipped his leg.

I've had seven, from show dogs (Baron von Gothel -- or Gator, for short) to unregistered from different bloodlines, and they've all been wonderful pets.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seconded. Pits can be wonderful pets. I've never had a bad experience with one -- my ex's pit always liked to hop up next to me on the couch and we would take a nap together. One of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

You've just got to be a little more diligent than other dog owners, mostly because of the stigma. They're not very social dogs -- being around a lot of unfamiliar people (especially kids, who might mistreat it) or other dogs is unadvisable. Don't feed it red meat (or even beef/meat-flavored dog food.) Don't get too aggressive if you're playing around/roughhousing. Don't let it bite, even when playing around. Make sure the dog knows who's boss. ... But if you get a puppy, all of that is easily trainable. Your pit will never give you a problem -- you've just got to make the effort and give it love. Which every pet owner should be doing, regardless of breed.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

seconded -- or fourthed?

a pit shouldn't be your first dog, but if you are an experienced dog owner, a pitt can be the best dog you've ever had

Draft saved Draft deleted