1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a short stay at a shop look bad on a resume?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Feb 18, 2009.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I started back in late August at my paper, my first daily in a few years after being at a weekly before this gig. I was at a daily out of school back in the day, but got our of the biz for a while before jumping back in four years ago.
    Anyway, I cover a major DI college for football/basketball and I am looking to move on after this season (hopefully as a beat writer for DI sports)...will it look bad on my resume that I was only here for six months, even though I have a load of clips?
    I'm thinking of testing the waters...but I am afraid it may be too soon.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does it hurt to test the waters then? The big question is anyone hiring reporters?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

These days, people leave jobs for a variety of reasons. It used to be that being a job-hopper was looked down upon. However, these days, people are used to seeing more people who don't stay long-term at any one job.

So if a job really appeals to you, go ahead and apply.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have a good reason when your next prospective employer asks the question.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I left a gig after five weeks once. I was straight forward in all my interviews since and it has never been a problem.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Can't speak to your experience, F_T, but here was my first years in the business starting in 1977: one year, one year, two years, six months, 18 months, 10 months, 2 years, 18 months ... that led to eight years, two years and my current 11.5 years.

If somebody wants you, they're going to want you regardless of the resume. I'm sure it was asked about, but it never hurt me. I've always thought it was pretty much just a part of the biz.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never stayed anywhere longer than 2 1/2 years. Some of that was my taking the chance to move up. some of it was things beyond my control (layoffs, etc.).

Not my design and I really would like to get someplace and stay for a while. But does it really makes sense to stay in a stinky job for a certain period if a better opportunity presents itself? That strikes me as prison, not employment.

People may want to blame me for job-hoping, but what about an employer that you move hundreds of miles for and then lays you off a few months later? Street runs both ways.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It seems as if the newspapers that pay the worst want people to stick around more than a year.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Journalism is a transient business. I don't see a problem for anyone with anyone who wants to move. If you stay somewhere too long, someone asks why. If you stay too short, someone asks why. It's a catch 22. You can't win either way.
    Do what's best for you and your family. You are seeing what loyalty in journalism can do. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to be loyal to myelf and my loved ones In the end, that's all that really matters.

10. I don't have a problem with it ... as long as you put in a good word for me at your current shop. ;)

Oh, we've never met? Details, details.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm not sure any of the old rules apply anymore.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If newspapers care about how long I intend to stay, they should give me a contract for that length of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted