1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DoD has sudden outbreak of common sense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be reduced from 15 months to 12 beginning later this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080405/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_iraq_14

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Why does the DoD hate our troops?

3. I'll believe it when I see it.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're told 12 months, that means go in hoping for 15 -- and expect 18.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank God somebody finally got some sense into them. I, for one, believe it will happen. And it will help. Now they need to do something about the op-tempo overall.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Having not read the link above, it is, indeed, going to happen. In December, I had the chance to have a conversation with Gen. Cody -- the vice chief of staff -- and he told me that the Army could in no way stand 15 month deployments much longer. He explained, in depth, the effects it was having on the branch, from more cases of PTSD and MTBI to a strain on strength. Cody said he and other senior leaders were shooting for late summer or fall to shorten the deployments, but those who were already on 15-month orders would not be reduced.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What the army *needs* to do is do away with stop-loss. That's a de-facto draft.

8. three_bags_full

I've never been affected by a stop-loss, but I know people who have -- including my father in the late 90s. It sucks, yes, but I think its more of a buzz-word these days.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I also know people affected by stop-loss. I think it's much worse than a buzz word.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain what it is?

11. three_bags_full

The Army places a stop-loss on soldiers in certain career fields when it can't afford to lose strength in that area -- or overall.

However, the newest policy allows soldiers to separate after one year of stop-loss. And, one of the more recent stop-losses affected a whopping 260 soldiers.

But, you're right, f_t. You know more about it than me.

12. Whoa.
    I think he was objecting to the phrase "buzz word," not to your expertise on the subject.
    Anyway, kudos to General Cody for recognizing the problem and for trying to do the right thing. However, the last seven years have demonstrated nothing if not the fact that the civilian leadership of the Pentagon a) doesn't know anything about those issues, and b) doesn't give a fuck about them if it does. General Cody still has to answer to those people. As I said, I'll believe it it when I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.