1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary on "The U" of Miami Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Dec 12, 2009.

1. chester

chester Member

Nope. Nor the loss to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

awww....isn't that convenient. I guess there weren't any brawls, or the "U" dancing.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or blowing the huge lead to Maryland.

4. Colton, where can I get a copy of DVD:) I was a "T-shirt" fan of the "U" back in the 90s. I sorta liked their rebelliousness - of course I think I was listening to way too much 2 Live Crew at the time. I remember watching that 1991 Cotton Bowl on TV and thought it was the most hilarious thing I'd ever seen. I guess because I was also sick of Stan Thomas' big fat yapper. BTW, great job on the documentary. I hope they put them all on DVD.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The 'Canes at their most intimidating would never have scared these guys:

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The Cotton Bowl vs. Texas will always stand out to me about Miami.

My old man was from Texas and an un-apologetic Longhorn fan. We're watching the game and I saw Sebastian the Ibis run onto the endzone and started taunting a Texas player after Miami scored another TD.

I thought my dad was going to reach into the television and beat the living shit out of that mascot.

7. chester

chester Member

I may have hated that mascot worse than any of the players. And was I reading it right, did they say the guy who was Sebastian that they interviewed in the piece was so from 1984-92? I guess there is no NCAA eligibility rules for mascots. :)

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Here's a shot from my collection, of Homecoming 1981 on the Mississippi State campus.
    I asked Kelly to autograph it when he came to a golf tourney there around 1995.
    State won 14-10, though Kelly threw a late TD pass which was nullified by procedure call on the tight end.

[​IMG]

I, too, think the documentary could have talked more about the losses to BC and to Alabama.
    Well done, overall, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. chester

chester Member

I would have thought the Alabama loss would have garnered some sort of mention, just because it seemed to be the end of the era for a lot of the principle players they focused on (Thomas, McNeil, etc.)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michael Irvin sure looked thin but most crack addicts do gaunt.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Irvin.
    Or, were trying to be "funny" like the U of Tenn. radio broadcasters who earlier this year repeatedly called the 'Bama quarterback Mac-Ell Roy instead of the proper mac'l roy

Carry on

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

The game that got the UM dynasty kick started was the upset of Penn State by Jim Kelly, who I can't believe wasn't mentioned.
    Did I miss something?
    Kosar looks like he's done too much of Miami's favorite import from Latin America.
    This was a guy who earned a business BA in 3 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted