1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentaries that made a difference

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Highlighting how absolutely littered with morons this country is.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It's very hard to be persuasive in a democracy when one of your main arguments is "most people are stupid."

The Democratic party as a whole seems to have figured this out, sadly. I guess you missed the memo.

3. statrat

statrat Member

Lots of things have changed my opinion on how the war is conducted. Fahrenheit 9/11 is not one of them. If anything it only hardened the war supporters that publicity hound slobs like Moore were the primary form of opposition. F 9/11 made no difference at all. If you opposed the war before seeing the film, you would still oppose it afterword, and if you supported it, it was highly unlikely that film would make you change your mind.

4. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Unfortunately, that sometimes is the most legitimate explanation for shit that happens.

5. statrat

statrat Member

So Simon, did Bush lose the '04 election? Nope. When the U.S pulls out of Iraq, will it be because of F 9/11? Nope. If anything, the film only opened Moore up to criticism because of his depiction of Iraq as a happy country where children had nothing better do than fly kites before the U.S invaded. Difference making documentary? I think not. Again, Bowling for Columbine made a much larger difference in the public debate than this film. Perhaps you should try thinking before you type. Or just try thinking in general, that might help your arguments.

Edit: I would hardly consider people in this country morons for not being convinced by a shoddy, hit-job of a documentary. Several recent documentaries have done a good job of showing how behind the scenes politics can drive a nation foolishly to war, namely "Fog of War" of Robert McNamara, and Eugene Jarecki's "Why we fight," both of which are superior to Moore's film.

6. F 9/11 reached a mass audience. It was a part of the nation's turning against this war and this president. It helped clear the ground for Jarecki's film, if not Morris's, because Morris already was an established presence with Thin Blue Line and that other great one the name of which I can never remember. It had an impact. We're just quibbling over how big a one.
    Columbine was a better movie. I don't dispute that.

7. statrat

statrat Member

Agreed. I just don't think it had the impact to merit a spot on this list. Just my opinion.

8. I repeat.
    Woodstock?
    Monterey Pop?
    Does anyone think Gimme Shelter had a bigger impact than either one of those?

9. Mighty_Wingman

This seems as good a place as any to praise Evil...Orville Redenbacher for starting today's two most popular threads within 90 minutes of one another.

And for being, behind DisembodiedOwlHead, my second-favorite nonsensical SportsJournalists.com username.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't know if it made a difference, but Faces of Death (the first one) was fantastic, if you've got the temperment to watch it. It was banned in what, 80 countries?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Maybe that was the gist of the article (haven't read it yet), but that's not what the cover said or implied.

12. Mighty_Wingman

I honestly hate disagreeing with you, Guy. But here's the full text of the cover line. Explain to me how this isn't "Global Warming is happening."

Draft saved Draft deleted