1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctors Give Apple CEO Steve Jobs Six Weeks to Live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 19, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know this won't be a pc-like comment (computer pun intended)...

Someone somewhere didn't get a kidney they needed in order to survive, because a billionaire cancer patient was able to get it instead. Not right, IMO.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's how it happened? I'm pretty sure there are strict safeguards in place to prevent any transplant shenanigans.

Mickey Mantle had to defend his liver transplant back when he had it, because people suspected favoritism.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

A lot more people in California could potentially become organ donors because of Steve Jobs. His money aided him in finding a liver (not a kidney), but his money and the influence it carries could potentially save many, many lives. State Senate Bill 1395.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

DW: Jobs flew around the country, getting on as many waiting lists as he could. But it goes a lot deeper than that.

Here is an article:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-steve-jobs-got-sick-2010-04

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Liver, not a kidney, my mistake.

Jobs gamed the system, because he had the ability to. Do I know if someone didn't get a liver they deserved because Jobs got it instead? No. But I do know he had cancer before, and now has cancer again. And he got a liver in the middle.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jobs must have had a connection to Burt Heineman.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hi, you must be new to the internet.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Who are you calling obtuse?

[​IMG]

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My bro (next yr a chief resident in surgery) is interested in critical care... He says pancreatic cancer is survivable... If only it could be caught early. Problem is, there are no signs or symptoms. It almost has to be found by accident, and there's almost never any reason to root around the pancreas.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I know from family experience that floating stools are a red flag for pancreatic and colon cancer.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Life is brutal.

Here's the guy who helped found Apple, was run out of the company, then came back to lead Apple into one of the most valuable companies in the world.

In addition, he survives a liver transplant only to suffer pancreatic cancer, all by 55. Wow.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I know nothing is cooler than the "we're crusty and tough and can laugh through an autopsy" persona, but this seems to be really pointless and inconsiderate in a thread where people are talking about their personal experiences with this disease.

Draft saved Draft deleted