1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctoring a photo...what should happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AndTheCrowdGoesBoo, Sep 5, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Definitely things which much be considered.

Again, a couple of thoughts:

1. Cropping is, in fact, a HUGE issue of integrity. Cropping disingenuously can be tantamount to excluding the word "not" in a potentially controversial quote. While cropping tends to be regarded as a less-serious issue, the material being excluded, and the message within the new frame MUST be considered carefully.

2. Selective blurring is not a global process. It must be done to individual parts of the frame. As I noted before, in straight news photography, the preference is to only use post-processing techniques which affect the entire frame.

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

It was a rhetorical question. Of course I think it's unethical. That's why I was using it as a parallel to what the photographer did and to make the point that just b/c what he did didn't harm anyone or change reality, that doesn't make it acceptable.

Lisa: Dad, do you even know what rhetorical means?
    Homer: Boy, do I know what rhetorical means?

Draft saved Draft deleted